Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:39 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 883 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 63%  63%  [ 63 ]
Link from a friend 14%  14%  [ 14 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Print media 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 14%  14%  [ 14 ]
Something else 8%  8%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 100
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:19 pm 

Hi!
I came across this forum while searching for Claud Butler stuff and found a lot of images and information I'd never seen before.

My first "real" bike was a 1954 Claud Butler New Allrounder I bought off the showroom floor at Claud's on Clapham Manor Road in 1955. We emigrated to Canada in 1956 and I didn't get back into cycling for another 20 years. I have some vintage (pre-1983) bikes and a few years ago bought a 1951 New Allrounder frame from Hilary Stone which I plan to restore and build up as period correct with some routine upgrades like alloy rims and paint it like my first New Allrounder, black with a light blue head tube. I always wonder what became of the first bike, which I gave to a friend when I left, but we never stayed in touch.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:25 pm 
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner

oldyellr wrote:
Hi!
I came across this forum while searching for Claud Butler stuff and found a lot of images and information I'd never seen before.

My first "real" bike was a 1954 Claud Butler New Allrounder I bought off the showroom floor at Claud's on Clapham Manor Road in 1955. We emigrated to Canada in 1956 and I didn't get back into cycling for another 20 years. I have some vintage (pre-1983) bikes and a few years ago bought a 1951 New Allrounder frame from Hilary Stone which I plan to restore and build up as period correct with some routine upgrades like alloy rims and paint it like my first New Allrounder, black with a light blue head tube. I always wonder what became of the first bike, which I gave to a friend when I left, but we never stayed in touch.

Hi and welcome to the site there are many on here that will be interested in your build so be sure to start a build thread and add lots of pictures when you get round to starting the build.

Regards

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:56 am 

Hi all from Australia

Found this sight while looking for inspiration for retro road builds that took my fancy.

I just picked up a Klein Quantum, I believe to be around late 80's or 90 model. Very VERY pink.
From memory the serial number is 2QA41 under the rear drop out. I believe the shorter serial numbers were used up to 90/91.
Running Shimano 105 8sp.
Have chucked on PSLR carbon wheels I had lying around. Hoping to upgrade stem and seat post to nice matching components and upgrade group set as I go.

Please ignore the pedals, I put them on to ride the bike to my car when I picked it up

Cheers,
Nick

Attachments:
27939295_10156054055803428_1993720394_n.jpg
27939295_10156054055803428_1993720394_n.jpg [ 138.38 KiB | Viewed 1253 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:48 am 

Hey, My name is David.
Nice to meet you, sir.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:23 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Thought I'd better introduce myself, this is a very interesting forum, I've joined as I'm just getting an old bike as a commuter. It's running OK but requires some tlc, I'm just deciding how much tlc to give it. It's a rather nothing special elswick turbo12 probably late 70s or early 80s judging by the brown colour scheme but when I get some time I'm hoping to try and narrow it down to a date if possible. After that I'm going to stabilise the rust and give it a good service before taking it out on some runs to and from work in good weather (hopefully we'll have a summer). I'll likely be scouring this place for help and information and no doubt asking some stupid questions in the near future.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:07 pm 
GOLD | PoTM | Rider | rBOTM
GOLD | PoTM | Rider | rBOTM

Welcome all. The only stupid questions are the ones that aren’t asked.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:30 pm 

Hi
I used to race bikes back in the 1960's with Corsham Road Club but didn't risk taking my expensive racing bike to University and ended up President of the Pedal Car Club instead (Southampton) winning the 24hrs race at Bristol held each year back in those days! I've kept my bike which is a Falcon San Remo Equip frame to which a semi-professional friend of the family (the only racer for Moulton!) helped me acquire the other parts. Last week after looking at it hanging in my garage for many years, I started to take it apart to clean it up - can't do much else in the snow. For some reason the Williams AB77 chainset is missing 2 sleeved bolts on the double chainring - although I have all the rest including a single set and even the removing tool which I gather is hard to find. Can anyone advise on sourcing bolts that would fit?
The rest, which I am now finding is very retro, includes a covered Unicantor saddle, Campagnolo seat post as well as Campagnolo front and rear derailleur gears, GB bars and Weinmann brakes. The wheels are Campagnolo hubs with Fiamme rims. Shows how old I am I guess!
John

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:17 pm 

corshamroadclub wrote:
Hi
I used to race bikes back in the 1960's with Corsham Road Club but didn't risk taking my expensive racing bike to University and ended up President of the Pedal Car Club instead (Southampton) winning the 24hrs race at Bristol held each year back in those days! I've kept my bike which is a Falcon San Remo Equip frame to which a semi-professional friend of the family (the only racer for Moulton!) helped me acquire the other parts. Last week after looking at it hanging in my garage for many years, I started to take it apart to clean it up - can't do much else in the snow. For some reason the Williams AB77 chainset is missing 2 sleeved bolts on the double chainring - although I have all the rest including a single set and even the removing tool which I gather is hard to find. Can anyone advise on sourcing bolts that would fit?
The rest, which I am now finding is very retro, includes a covered Unicantor saddle, Campagnolo seat post as well as Campagnolo front and rear derailleur gears, GB bars and Weinmann brakes. The wheels are Campagnolo hubs with Fiamme rims. Shows how old I am I guess!
John

Hi John and welcome
if you post a add in the road bike wanted section somebody will be able to help you out for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:43 am 

Hello

I've been lurking long enough I should register and say hello... it's been so long I can't even remember what I was searching for when I found Retrobike...

Unlike many I never used to race or anything back in my youth - cycling has mostly been for transport way back to school, then at uni, and more recently commuting into London, for which I ride an old steel Kona.

I had some friends who were Mamil types into cycling who invited me to ride with them, but didn't want to have all the gear and no idea thought I'd ride older bikes so I'd have an excuse, but of course 'retro' has its own following. But I also prefer the look of older bikes over much of the modern stuff.

The bikes I have aren't especially retro - a couple of steel Merckx and a carbon/alu Vitus.

Post subject: Re: thanks for the add.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:29 pm 

I’m Rob - I live in Sheffield and first got interested in vintage bikes when I picked up a Moulton F frame from an ad in the Nottingham Evening Post in 1987. Ive had a few Moultons since then and have sold them onto Japan and Thailand after making them roadworthy. Last year I picked up a vintage Holsdworth spent masses on the refurb but as it was like a 5 bar gate - much too big for my 32” inside leg I gave it to my mates son his nickname is Sam long legs. Last week I rescued another old Holdsworth from a skip and this one looks about right for me so I’ll be asking for advice later.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 883 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89  Next