Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:49 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1068 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 62%  62%  [ 68 ]
Link from a friend 16%  16%  [ 17 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Print media 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 13%  13%  [ 14 ]
Something else 8%  8%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 109
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:14 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi, my name is Jim and I'm an alcoholic..... no, wait, that's another group, sorry.

Returned to serious(ish) riding when I retired at the end of March (just at the start of the covid lock down - great timing). Many years ago I worked in the bike trade, both in retail and manufacturing before moving into IT and sticking there for far too many years. Anyway, I'm back to riding my bike again (a 1999 Colnago Master Olympic which replaced a 1983 Colnago Super Profil after it lost out to a Mondeo one evening) - I think I've covered more miles over the last 5 months than I have done in the last 20 years.
I'm also under orders to 'tidy' our loft and garage so there could well be some 1980s kit appearing in the sale ads at some point.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:10 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Welcome aboard Jim
Get some pictures up in the readers rides section and tell us a bit more :)

Jamie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:26 am 

Hi. I've been cycling for over 30 years so most of my bikes are retro apparently. I got into cycling seriously in the early 90s, so I've ended up with a Rory O'Brien, Specialized Rockhopper, KHS Crest and a Brompton from that decade. All steel. Lovely.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:03 am 

Hi, I’ve had a bicycle since I was a kid, and despite a bit of a lull when the kids were younger I have got back into it. I’ve some lovely modern bikes, but also have my Falcon Black Diamond that I used to cycle to school. I’ve just decided to do it up after 40 years of neglect.

———

https://falconrestorebike.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:19 am 
Dirt Disciple

Great work on the Black Diamond. Glad you are sticking to the original spec. The metal headtube badge was replaced by the foil badges in about 1978. 1977 seems to be consistently metal badge and 1979 foil.

What year is your machine? If you want it to be period correct you will need to go with the foil badge and they are still available from H Lloyd

https://h-lloyd-cycles.myshopify.com/co ... ll?page=31

You will find Autosol pretty good for polishing, especially aluminium. Needs loads of elbow grease and patience!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:51 pm 

I think it’s a 1977 or 78. I’m not sure, but I do remember having it at secondary school (before 6th Form), but I’m not exactly sure when.

I’ve found most of the decals at H Lloyd, but they didn’t have the chain stay ones. I’ve sent them the details and hopefully they can reproduce them.

When using Autosol on aluminium parts (crank, brake caliper and levers) is it best to use the normal version, or or the aluminium polish, or anodised aluminium polish?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:25 am 
Dirt Disciple

I would use the regular Autosol. You often need to do it several times and polish it up clean between each session. I also use more drastic measures if there are scratches e.g. on a badly removed seat-in for example. Very Very fine wet and dry paper and very fine wire wool, used very carefully, will remove shollow scratches and dents.

Di the bike originally have the chain stay decals? Falcon were very on and off with details like that. It was fairly consistent with top end models but for the rest of the range it was varied.

Post subject: Re: Introduce Yourself!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:57 pm 

A couple of years ago, after a long period of recovery from two knee ops, a good friend suggested I try cycling for fun rather than just hauling into town or trickling to the pub and back, and I'm pleased to say I'm really hooked. I refreshed my old Lemond Alpe D'Huez from the Noughties, which had sat in the garage unused for 10+ years, and sallied forth. Of course, I soon found out it takes a while to get match fit, especially on our first ride into the Chilterns where I embarrassingly had to unclip and hop off near the top of a climb with my heart trying to leap out of my chest. Just as a group of riders came over the crest in time to give me a few choice words of 'encouragement'.

But it didn't put me off - I realised the Alpe was geared for the flatlands not the hills (53-39,11-25) and although I swapped the cassette (to 11-27), it was still an effort keeping up with my superfit biking mate.

I tried a secondhand carbon Trek Madone 6.5 which was great; lighter, slightly better geared for going up (52-38, 11-28) and awesome through the twisty bits. Unfortunately I unshipped the chain which wrapped the rear derailleur and broke off a portion of the rear mech dropout and wrote the frame off - chapeau! to the Madone. This is where I realise my story becomes a bit more 'Retro' - I replaced it with a steel Ritchey Logic running 11-speed Ultegra and Dura-Ace brakes. It was a different experience to the stiff Madone, much more compliant, I could detect frame and bar flex, and that translated to much improved comfort on the road. At first I was less confident cornering, especially on fast descents, but I have adapted to the way the bike works and if anything I'm now more confident on the Ritchey than I was before on the Trek and a bonus is I don't get the same road buzz transfer to my hands and wrists on a longer ride, which could sometimes make them numb on really rough surfaces. So thumbs up for the Ritchey Logic - it's a great bike.

But - I have been looking at older steel bikes and I know I would also love an Italian bike from the 70s or 80s, so here I am, hoping to find out what to look for in a quality Italian classic. Should be fun. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1068 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107