Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:39 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1048 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 63%  63%  [ 68 ]
Link from a friend 15%  15%  [ 16 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Print media 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 13%  13%  [ 14 ]
Something else 8%  8%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 108
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:03 am 
BoTM | rBoTM | rider
BoTM | rBoTM | rider

Philtalks wrote:
I guess its around 1994 so pretty young in this company, and at 12 and a bit kilos its no lightweight. It has a frame number sticker on the downtube that reads H91543? - its a bit scuffed so the last digit is gone.

Hello Phil, I've just spotted this... how are you getting on with it?
BTW, the 1994 version was 7005 Aluminium... CB re-introduced 531 for the Criterium in 1996-97, the '96 was "Frost Purple" so an educated guess would be yours is from 1997.(still Retro) :wink:

Looks like it's got all its original kit... :)

Attachments:
IMG_0177post.jpg
IMG_0177post.jpg [ 253.24 KiB | Viewed 273 times ]

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:48 am 
Dirt Disciple

Hi everyone,
I'm Ethan, and unlike most of the people here I'm actually 17. I got into retro bikes after riding my Dad's carlton criterium which he used when he was at uni, and still has, it's very rusty, has a very stuck stem, and is 40 years old this year, but is all original apart from the rear wheel and freewheel. I was struck by the fact that it felt slow, and thus purchased a btwin triban 3 (great bike once you've replaced every component as I have!). After getting stronger and learning how to use the gears I then found my the old carlton a joy to ride and decided to purchase my own. I settled on a Carlton pro am 12 and thus have been sucked into the rabbit hole of retro bikes. The bike was a mess and the biggest issue was the seized stem which I ended up dissolving out with sodium hydroxide, I found the forum when searching for how to remove this. The bike is now back on the road and I have very nearly finished the project with the last thing being to swap the small chainring for a 34t and then respace the frame to 130mm and 100mm so I can use a modern wheels and redish the old wheels so they're not as flexible as spaghetti.
I have now also purchased a Giant cadex 980c and a raleigh mirage, so its fair to say I'm deep into the addiction.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:29 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hello all :) retro bikers George here from Oxford. Currently own a orbit thompson a bit shabby but rock solid

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:15 pm 

Hi, I’m Mel,

I cycled a lot when I was at school in the 60’s/70’s, but hadn’t cycled since, until my brother-in-law brought me a scrap Raleigh Clubman that had been dumped. I fixed it up 10 years ago with a mix of vintage and new bits, but had a few strokes and decided to dig it out and sort it up again. However, I’m having issues with the chainset - should I post here or on the Road Bikes section?

Kind regards,
Mel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:17 pm 

Hi, been dabbling here for a while, mostly reading and not posting.
Now have a 1938 Pollard Specialite tandem - really tatty and a mismash of parts, but was built in Coventry, raced at the Butts stadium where I used to run when Godiva Harriers were based there, and then was sold to me by a guy living just down the road. Have a mid 90's Bill Nickson frame that is rusted through at the base of the seatpost, so realistically is scrap, but it came with 1st generation DuraAce, so is now stripped and hanging in the garage. Recently bought a 1963 Falcon that is under restoration at the moment - quite a nice bike but is almost certainly a project more than a bike to make money from... Also a Gundle butchers bike - this is restored and only ever ridden by me a couple of times as it's made from industrial girders. Needs a basket for the front. And a 1995 Colnago Master I bought when on holiday in Florence - from a little shop hidden round the back of the city that sells vintage road bikes (some lovely bikes in there!!). Absolutely immaculate and original, and used as a spare bike by the original owner. Now a summer bike for me.
Then a host of more modern road, MTB and CX bikes - it seems that the collection keeps slowly growing, but I do like projects!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:12 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi all!

Here to join people with the love for all things bike! I have Claud Butler, Peugeot and Carlton road bikes! And a couple of newer Mountain bikes!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:02 pm 

Hi all,
I have been riding bikes, building bikes and wheels for ages and decided it was time to join up. My N+1 amounts to 9 bikes currently, of which 2 are carbon fibre, one titanium, one alloy and 5 steel. Steel bikes include 2x Colnagos and an Eddy Merckx. And I have too many wheels so will offer some for sale soon, especially as I just have a P&K Lie wheel jig which means I can build still more. Good to join you all!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:31 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Welcome aboard George, Nick, Mr Tim, Slarge, Ethan, Mel and other new members. Pull up a chair, grab a coffee and start getting stuck in. read a bit but please join in the banter and discussions and also head over to RBotM comp to see what's going on.
New members are a little restricted at first with regards posting ads, photos and some aspects of messaging but any problems just message a moderator or myself and we will see what we can sort.
Mods for a section can be seen listed under a topic heading, usually in green. Click on one and the details open.
Anyway post your builds, your stories and generally enjoy.

Jamie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1048 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105