Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:01 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 939 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 63%  63%  [ 65 ]
Link from a friend 15%  15%  [ 15 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Print media 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 14%  14%  [ 14 ]
Something else 8%  8%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 103
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:30 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Even the Lycett saddle says Made in South Africa!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:38 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

DKimberley wrote:

I wonder what the French connection was or if the Huret and Mafac parts were made under licence in SA as well.

I think this bike deserves a thread all of it's own really Brett

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:15 pm 
Dirt Disciple

DKimberley wrote:

I found that very interesting as well, it’s the first leather saddle that I’ve seen that had the “made in SA” stamp on it. I’m planning of having a chat with a very knowledgeable vintage collector in SA over the weekend and hopefully he’ll be able to provide some insight into Raleigh’s history over here. I’ll provide feedback once I’ve chatted to him.

If you’d like some more info on the build I’ll be more than willing to share it in a separate thread. The bike has already been stripped down and work has started.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:58 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Buff_SA wrote:
DKimberley wrote:

I found that very interesting as well, it’s the first leather saddle that I’ve seen that had the “made in SA” stamp on it. I’m planning of having a chat with a very knowledgeable vintage collector in SA over the weekend and hopefully he’ll be able to provide some insight into Raleigh’s history over here. I’ll provide feedback once I’ve chatted to him.

If you’d like some more info on the build I’ll be more than willing to share it in a separate thread. The bike has already been stripped down and work has started.

Definitely, build threads in readers road bikes are always very welcome

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:42 pm 

Hi all,
Nick here from Co Antrim.
I've been browsing the site for a while but just signed up today.

Here's a list of my road bikes:
1981 Francesco Moser Modello Record (full bare metal re-spray + restoration)
1989 Peugeot Racing Team (just a frame and forks at the minute)
1993 Giant Cadex CFR-1 (just needed a tidy up)
2007 Orbea Orca (not quite vintage/retro but not quite modern either!)

And for good measure, Mountain bike - 2006 Orbea Scape and BMX - 2007 Raleigh Aero Pro Team Burner (25th anniversary edition)

I'll get some pictures up in the relevant sections soon.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:22 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi
Names Jim, live in Helensburgh (West Coast of Scotland)
Currently ride a Cove MTB (2008), a 2018 Giant Contend 2 (commuting, boring, constantly fiddling with the gears) but am in the market for an old steel frame to single-speed convert
Cheers
Jim

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:52 pm 

Hey
I'm Chris, living in the Netherlands but originally from Dorset. Normally I can be found on my (non-retro) MTB but I've just bought a 1982 Gazelle Champion Mondial as I missed riding a road bike occasionally. My mechanical knowledge only goes as far back as 2010 or so, so I will probably have many questions!
Cheers
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:00 pm 

Hi,

I'm Iain from Islington in North London. I started using the retrobike site for technical info in helping me with my first builds. I didn't think i was particularly knowledgable enough to participate on this site at the time so have left it a few years before my first post. I have now completed 5 retro steel builds, and will be starting on my sixth when I can find the spare cash. As I live in a two bedroom flat with my kids and have no garage , all the bikes are wedged into my loft space!

My interest is to build-up the bikes as near as possible to the original spec (the original catalogues that people helpfully post on Velobase and elsewhere is really useful here). But of course they need to be a good ride as well, they are definitely not to hang on the wall! Well i don't have space for that in flat anyway.

My first build was also a 1976 Gazelle Champion Mondial. The second was for my wife, and is rose/pink 1982'ish Mercier SdC. This is where I really needed the help of this site and of course Sheldon Brown, because of the bizarre French thread sizes etc. The third is my 1988 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra SLX. The fourth was a Holdsworth Nuovo Record from 1982. The fifth is a 1982 Raleigh Gran Sport (in the what was the optional Raleigh team colours as against the more common caramel colour). My sixth is my big splash out (and only because I inherited a little bit of money) was on a relatively rare NOS 1996 Pinarello Dynalite frame which ordered online from a site in Turin (which shall be nameless). I am now slowly gathering components via ebay because there are of course no bargains to had anymore on that site.

I will be taking the Raleigh and the Mercier to Holland in June for Eroica Limburg and really looking forward to that. I would like to put up some build pictures but not sure I do that on this site - do I start a new thread?

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:11 pm 

I'm Pete from Bedfordshire, been into cycling all my life (now mid 50's). Been a member of the Icknield Road club for 30 years and rode a lot of time trials in the 90's.

Still got my old bikes (Peugeot 531 road bike and Cougar Low Pro) in the loft as well as some modern ones (you can never have enough bikes :lol: )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 939 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94