Am I paying to much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wimnell

Retro Newbie
Im negotiating to buy some gear of a seller whos selling a complete bike. But in not sure its a decent price and could realy use some input.

What im buying is a complete 8 speed Chorus groupset said to be from early 00s and in great condition. I assume this is from 97 or so, dont know when the last 8 speed was made. Inc BB.

+ A campa Nucleon wheelset in very good condition.

And a extra NOS chain + cassette.

All for 375£

I could pay a little extra and get this instead:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=88593

I think that 9 speed was introduced about 1996 - I certainly bought an 8 speed Chorus groupset in 1994/95. Nucleon wheelset is newer - first Campagnolo Climb Dynamic wheels came out in 1997/98 - they had a distinctive grey/gunmetal colour - and weren't reliable - rear wheel spokes were under-strength. Luckily Campagnolo replaced mine under warranty.
In terms of price - 375 is highish unless in v. good condition IMO- the market for parts from the late 90s is yet to pick-up.

Sounds pricey to me. Post-2001 stuff is much more compatible so less of a headache for spares.
Rear mechs and cassettes are the biggest difficulties for pre-2001 stuff, especially 8 speed. I could see a very, very smart Chorus rear mech going for £80 or so on a good day, likewise shifters - but there are plenty of the other bits around, with lots of almost identical cranks NOS.
The pre-98 shifters are robust, rebuildable and last forever, but rubber grips are getting harder to find now (pointy top type).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back