tire width - educate a fool.

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
found these for my wide flange Record on MA-2 tubular wheels and need to know if I should choose 21mm or 23mm.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vittoria-Rally-Ro ... 191wt_1165

campagnolo_record_wheels_289.jpg

They will be fitted to the Orange and will have 14 stone riding round on them.

IMG_0026.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
23mm for allround riding. 21's for racing moreso TT'in. Though I have heard happiness is a 25mm tub which I'm going to try one day :)

Vittoria tyres are lovely too. Have a look on Ribble for the best tub prices at the moment.

There was a lot of research that suggested that 21's were slower as there is too much deformation of the tyre anyway, unless you were extremely light.

I'd go with the 23's, but I have to admit that if your local roads are as trashed as mine after the recent cold snap, then Kaiser's idea of 25s sounds like a very good one!

Hi

I have the same question spookly enough but on HP Clincher tyres and rims. I have some Campagnolo Omega 20 width rims and have located a nearly new set of Michelin Hilite Super Comp HD 700 x23 and also a brand new pair of the same 700 x20. What would you go for

Im 5ft 8 and weigh 10.5 Stone

Cheers Tim

I'm around the same weight and find that 20's are like riding a road drill. The roads are so busted now that 23's are much preferable, and no slower.

I've comfortably ridden centuries on 23's, even including 20 cattle grids along the way.

Many Thanks too

Looks like its 23 for me as well as dont want to damage a set of new rims. Was just a bit worried that the 23 would like too wide, I run 23's on my Black Lemond but the tyres are all black so you dont really notice the slightly bigger sidewall

If you want true luxury, try 25mm - the air pocket is 60% larger than a 23mm with no loss of rolling resistance - something like a Michelin Krylion or a Schwalbe Stelvio are great all-round tyres. I only use anything narrower for racing. The story of 20mm being faster tyres is a myth - but you will get more punctures!

Latest posts

Back