What fixed wheel commuter frame?

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Bit of a modern question but hopefully you can bear with me.

I've been commuting for a year on a Pompino (plus regular rides at weekend) but have accepted that this is really poor form (plus I'd like something a little nicer but am struggling to justify it so easier to blame on someone else).

I now need some ideas on what I should be looking for (outside of the usual Mercian, Bob Jackson etc.).

Requirements are:

- steel
- proper rearward facing track ends
- compatible with mudguards
- no toe overlap
- retroish rather than one of the Johnny-come-lately bikes (otherwise I may as well stick with the Pompino)

Part of me toys with having the Pompino copied in Ti by XACD although that's a bit flash for a commuter.

Any suggestions?

Sounds like you need an old path-track frame. Which one I do not know, whatever you can find in your size I guess ;)

how about a lincolnshire poacher?

there is a review of a 3 speed fixed version on bike radar, sounds like a good ride

dont think it has mudguard eyelets mind

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Funnily enough saw that half an hour ago when I was idling on eBay - lively and as you say with enough dropout leeway but unfortunately too small.

Charge Plug Grinder? Mind you I don't think it's available as frame only. Still cheap though at circa 450 for complete bike, and looks quite classy in olive paint with silver components, albeit plain gauge tubing is basic. You'll be hard pressed to find fixed frames with relaxed head tube (as to prevent toe overlap) and pannier drillings.

Thanks all.

I think the message I'm getting is that unless I want to spend strong on a custom Mercian or Jackson, with the requirements I've got I'm not really going to do any better than the Pompino I already have. I'm sure that I can live with the ribbing.

Back