Deidre dilema - how far does the restro go

Kerplunk

Senior Retro Guru
So I've won a Graham Weigh 653 f+f on ebay. Original plan was just to strip my current Dawes Giro 300 of its RSX groupset and stick it on the Weigh. Paint is a bit tatty on the Weigh so now i'm thinking it could benefit from a respray and being in Leeds Bob Jackson's prices don't seem to bad for a nice plain enamel finish. Plus I can get the braze-on front hanger removed at the same time which I'll need to do if re-using the RSX triple front derailleur.
20zspxz.jpg

However now I'm starting to think about it too much and I'm wondering if the old RSX stuff will look a bit too knackered on a nice clean bike and whether its worth getting a new groupset (+ wheels) and part funding it by selling the Dawes complete. Ribble have the Sora groupset for £180 (£190 for triple) and with 9 speed and compact chainset I don't think I'll miss the seldom used granny ring of the RSX. Or is it worth trying to gather enough bits of a better but older groupset from here and ebay?

Opinions and advice please....

Age old dellima.
Personally I would probably knock the ribble together without getting it painted or spending money.
Then see how it rides.
You may find you want to buy a nice merckx/ colnago with dura ace/ record which is what we all end up with..
Or maybe not..

Paint is a bit tatty

Or it's "patina", it gives the bike character and history.

A respray without new transfers and tubing stickers will just make it bland and nondescript.

I'd agree but some of the chips and scratches are down to bare metal which isn't a good thing and why I was thinking respray. Transfers would be replaced.

Back