Specialité TA Pro 5 Vis Chainrings & BB?

donpedro

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Found some Nervar crank arms on 'bay for my Mercian build a while back. But I need some new chain rings. Anyone know of a good source in the UK or EU?
The choice of ISO bottom brackets are drying up but JIS should work just as well. I haven't decided how to set it up yet (to many choices...). But what would be the right Shimano BB length for a double or triple set up?

Thanks Nimbus!
Funny, when I checked with Spa last year they had very few chain rings left and I got the impression they were not going to restock. Glad they did as they have some other good stuff I'd like to order!

I's really advise against putting them on JIS bottom brackets. only around 5-6mm sits on the taper and the left hand crank usually gets trashed.

This is the voice of bitter experience. :oops:

Hamster, there seem to be many different views on ISO and JIS interchangeability. I've used both Campa NR and more recent Chorus and Stronglight cranks that have ISO tapered holes with cheap Shimano BB's, and vice-versa, without any issues for many years. Only found out about this in the late 90's because of the articles on Sheldon's site.

I've noticed that a lot of people skip the large washer and/or use what ever BB bolt they can find. I'm not saying this explain why you've experienced a lot of failures. But I know this is the reason to many of the failed cranks we saw when I worked in a bike shop.

Back