BB help needed please...

wired99

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi guys

Being a newbie to building up bikes I have thankfully been poodling along ok on my Gazelle without any major issues, until now that is. Still not totally clear on what BB I need. I want to run a 83' double SR chainset with NR front and back mechs. It's gonna be 7 speed. British threaded BB. What am I looking for? Does it have to be Campag (even though I would like it to be), and what length? 111mm, 115mm?.. Its a minefield :(

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated.

Thanks guys
Wired99

on my older campag chainsets that were double the bb length was 111, 115 being for triples if i remember correctly, but i'm not sure with the chainsets that early. i assume you mean SR= super record and NR = nuovo record?

oh and bb wise, campagnolo is recommended, the taper on the axles are slightly different to shimano etc, it will work but takes longer to settle and tighten up i think.

Yes, sorry, Nuovo Record and Super Record.
I've seen some that are both 111 and 115mm and it said 'double' on both the descriptions so just a liffle bedazzled... :?

Thanks for the info BTW

The No.18 catalogue gives 112mm as the standard for a double - that's a "68-SS" Campag axle:

http://www.campyonly.com/history/catalo ... log_18.pdf

It's slightly asymmetric, with a 3mm bias to the right.

There were a few variations in bottom brackets around that time though, as well as the question of thick and thin cups. I've never quite been able to make head or tail of it, to be honest. A few days ago I was puzzling over a slightly later document that details the changes, axle codes, and the question of thick and thin cups. I can't find that pdf right now, but if you PM me a valid email address, I'll send you a copy when it shows up.

Many other manufacturers made Campag-compatible axles at the time, and you may find a Mavic, Ofmega, Gipiemme etc. will do the job. Some of the better Japanese units were also compatible before the rise of the JIS taper. Older Dura Ace or Suntour Superbe Pro used Campag tapers.

Here's the other pdf I was looking for:

http://www.campyonly.com/history/record ... ol_1-2.pdf

That gives 113.5mm for a Record double, 112.5mm for Nuovo Record, and 115.5mm for Super Record for the 68-SS axle. I'm not sure what accounts for the discrepancy, as the same cranks are used with all three. The Nuovo Record axle is matched with the rifled NR cups, and the Super Record axle is titanium.

In practical terms, I don't think you need to worry too much about a millimetre here or there, but you do need to make sure you match the cups to the axle.

Back