Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:58 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Zeus - Anyone au fait?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:50 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I recently aquired a Zeus frame and know very little about it except a) its made from Columbus 'Brain' tubing, and b) It's NOS. I was wondering if anyone might hazzard a guess at a date? And also what period spec would I be looking at in order to do it justice. I know Zeus stuff is very hard to find :(

There is very little I can find on the net that gives me any indication as to what this is. It has the words 'Racing Mente' on the top tube but all I can find is an Orbea Mente reference which, given they took over Zeus I think, late eighties, that is sort of relevant but nothing to do with this frame. Or is it?

Any clues guys? Not best pics, admittedly

Thanks a million
Wired99

http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af53/wired99/Zeus%20frame/zeusframe004.jpg?t=1262702299

http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af53/wired99/BiElhZwB2kKGrHqEH-DMEsJhYSQQBLMnjFZ.jpg?

http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af53/wired99/Zeus%20frame/zeusframe006.jpg?t=1262702812

http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af53/wired99/Zeus%20frame/zeusframe005.jpg?t=1262702891

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:06 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Ah, just worked out how to post pics! (I think)
So just in case anyone has any clues....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:35 pm 
Retro Guru

Zeus are Spanish ifydak. Columbus Brain was 1990s, it's a decent tubing, around 1.9 - 2kg weight; double-butted with a thickness of 0.8mm ends and 0.5 middle. Looks circa '94 from the paint job. Any numbers on the BB shell?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:39 pm 
Old School Hero

What's the rear spacing? I had an early 90's razesa (who took over Zeus), also with eyelets on the headtube ( for bar end shifters i assume), but your bike looks more modern. I'd say mid 90's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:24 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Right, bottom bracket markings are '9100033' so am guessing 1991 with what you guys are saying. I found some info on Zeus (mostly the components and a bit of info on Orbea connection) but it seems to stop in the 80s. So would this be a frame made in Spain by Razeza then?
Rear dropout width is 130mm.

BTW was that the yellow/puple Razeza nstr?.. I bought that frame recently and am just awaiting it to arrive. Don't tell me any horror stories now :?

Thanks guys, input graciously recieved..

Wired99

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:51 pm 
Old School Hero

That's the one. That razesa is one gorgeous bike, but even with a short stem it was too big for me...

And I think it's very likely that your zeus was built by Razesa. I seem to recall that besides building for Zeus, Razesa built bikes for BH as well.

Nice stable though! What components are you using to build them? I think the razesa came with a mix of Zeus/campag stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:24 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Frame arrived this morning, it's beautiful!
I have been looking around for some Zeus stuff but it's not easy to find at all. May go Campag I guess, although I am drawn to DA at the minute. Not really sure at this point.

Yes, stable is coming along nicely. I have a late 70s Gazelle, '78 Holdsworth, unknown but ace 70s steel, alongside a trusty (but not retro!) Boardman, and a soon to arrive '89 Kona Fire Mountain. Add the Zeus and Razesa and I need a stable to put 'em in!

Wired99