'86 Carlton Kermesse: Hot Rod or restore?

'86 Carlton: Hot Rod or restore?

• Mix it up

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep it original

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cab

Retro Guru
I've got a Carlton Kermesse which looks like it was converted to flat bars from new or close to: flat ITM bars & Weinmann brakes. It would make a nice fixie, but I've got a couple already so I'm thinking of putting it back with drops & gears. The cranks & mechs are Arabesque, I'm guessing the brakes should be too, so I need to hunt them down at the jumble. Then I remembered I've got 105 8 speed STI units on the shelf: would it be so wrong to use them & the matching brakes? there's only 10 years difference but they look like they're from somewhere completly different.

Modify it tastefully, I say. Although as far as I can tell, this forum is very much against modifying bikes (or maybe just specifically against my modified bike ;) )

frinkmakesyouthink":f7cny153 said:
Modify it tastefully, I say. Although as far as I can tell, this forum is very much against modifying bikes (or maybe just specifically against my modified bike ;) )

I've searched your posts and can't see what you're talking about :?

Anyway I voted for a period restoration the only reason being is that STI shifters are so ugly! Nothing ruins the look of an old steel road bike like some hunkie chunkie STI units. Perhaps some nice old bar end shifters would be better suited. Just my humble opinion of course and the beauty of STI's is their user friendliness. The other thing to bear in mind is whether it is worth restoring, something which is entirely up to you...

I was just thinking aloud really, I was tidying the shed & didn't have anyone to discuss shifters with. Really, I think the STI's should go on a late steel 'cross frame, & I should look out for bar end levers for the Carlton. Both projects would need wheels bought, so may be a while yet!

Back