Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:08 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:13 am 
Old School Hero

Well worth restoring, and a great find with all its original parts. Frame is butted 531 and the lugs are Nervex Professional, so it's a quality hand-built machine, probably from the mid to late 1950s judging by the equipment.

Chater Lea cranks, Airlite hubs, Campag Gran Sport rear mech, Brooks saddle, Mafac brakes and GB bars and stem - it's all top drawer componentry for the period.

Should be a very rewarding restoration project, but it might be worth preserving the frame instead of having it repainted. With T-cut and polish, it may well scrub up quite well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:51 am 
Old School Hero

t-cut and polish x2

cranks rechromed, rest could be gotten nos or cleaned up.

rechromed cranks. could be an amazing bike, I really fancy a classic build at the minute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:15 pm 

I PM'ed the OP, and he's sold the bike.
Shame I wasn't on the forum 12 months ago, I might have persuaded him to sell it to me.
And yes mavesyn, J A Holland was my father, I'll see if I can find some old photos of his shop, bikes etc and post them up.
I've a feeling that my mother still has one of his frames hidden away somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:11 am 
Retro Guru

That would be wonderful Bill, i'm sure we'd all love to see some photo's of the old shop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:24 pm 
Old School Hero

Bill-H wrote:
Shame I wasn't on the forum 12 months ago, I might have persuaded him to sell it to me.
And yes mavesyn, J A Holland was my father, I'll see if I can find some old photos of his shop, bikes etc and post them up.
I've a feeling that my mother still has one of his frames hidden away somewhere.

You might like to consider getting in touch with the Classic Lightweights website. I am certain that they would be very interested to include any information and pictures on J A Holland cycles. In fact there is some information on there already. Take a look: http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bu ... d-crump-rb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:11 pm 

Wheelnut wrote:

You might like to consider getting in touch with the Classic Lightweights website. I am certain that they would be very interested to include any information and pictures on J A Holland cycles. In fact there is some information on there already. Take a look: http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bu ... d-crump-rb

I updated the info held by the National Cycle Archives a few years ago.
The papers they hold relate to my grandfather W C Holland and his pre-WW2 cycle business based in West Bromwich.

I understand my sister has been in touch recently with Classic Lightweights regarding your link. From the frame number, that bike was the second one built in February 1958.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:09 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

spibblo is still posting - I think, I may still have the majority of a 1950's Campagnolo rear mech that would help with this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:48 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

Wheelnut wrote:
Bill-H wrote:

Just gone on there, more info. -

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bu ... lders.html