ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Anyone fancy it? http://www.vc-roubaix-cyclo.fr/site/ind ... e70b0afbf7

Appears that there are three routes:
1) The 255 km-long Integral closely related to the course of the professional race (49 km of pave)

2) The 173 km-long Essential which also has the 49km of pave

3) The 98 km-long Final with 32 km of pave

All finish in the Roubaix velodrome.

What do you reckon - would be uber cool on an early 90s classic road bike!

Can't believe no one has replied here.
I'll be riding this one. For the 5th time this year. First 2 times I rode my early nineties casati. Campag delta brakes and northern french mud are not a good combination, I can tell you :) . Last 2 times on my more modern ridley.
I can recommend this ride to anyone. It's cheap compared to other rides. I love the landscapes in France and the organisation/service is fantastic. But most of all the atmosphere. Especially riding the last bit on the velodrome. I love it. And of course the cobbles.

So come on, sign up.

I'll be doing it on my refurbed 1995 Ribble 753. It was perfect for the Tour of Flanders.

It's good to hear of people doing it more than once :D

I've signed up for the 255 and em expecting it to be the toughest day I've ever had...

Its on my bucket list :) but not quite near the top yet.

Yep, more than once. I'll be trying to do this every time for as long as I manage. And I've even managed to conceive a baby after 4 rides :) .
So just use a bit wider tyres, I'd recommend at least 25mm. And take it easy on the first 100k or so.
You'll have a fantastic day, and a good story to tell your cycling buddies.

Now that I have sorted payment (my bank wanted £20 to transfer 15 euros :evil: ) I'm in for the 175km 'Essential' route. Naturally my mind has turned to which bike to ride and I have the following choices:

1) Mid 70s Raleigh Panasonic with Nuovo Record

2) Early 90s Zullo with Chorus

3) Late 90s Indepepent Fabrication cyclocross

4) Early 00s Colnago ex Rabobank Team cyclocross

I'm drawn towards option 1 but am worried that I'd break it! Option 3 would be comfortable (within reason) but lacking in imagination. Option 4 would be pretty cool but is a) modern; b) has a restraightened steel fork.

Any wise counsel?

I've ridden it a couple of times - the full 260km and it's a great day out. I'm trying to talk a mate into doing it again but he's still scarred from the last time in 2006! It was mid-thirties celcius and many were collapsing from heat stroke. Drive over on the Saturday pm, stop en route for steak, frites and beer - get to the velodrome late, catch a few hours kip and then get onto the bus at 2am for the trip to the start - start riding in the dark knowing it's gonna be at about 10 hours. Get to finish, shower, eat and drink (lots), collect photo and pave stone and drive home - try not to fall asleep driving home! IME you'll break long before your bike - provided it's in good condition - but I have seen forks collapse and stems break, particularly at the first sectors after Troisville. The section after the third control at Raismes is the real killer - Arenberg, Orchies, Vertain and Mons en Pevelle come thick and fast - after the 4th control, you only really have to worry about Carrefour. There are 2 adjascent sectors that are separated by the width of the road - ouch!

Just back from riding the pave sections pre race day - whilst i love my old steel bikes, this time i took a carbon and it flew over the cobbles - not very retro (or cancellara at that), but very quick and no worries about snapping a steely !

Just working out how to pay the entry - think the 173km appeals most to me, as it has all the pave. The roads before are, well, just roads !

Back