Prevent a crime - Master X Light build advice needed

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Lampre coloured X Light needs building and I'd appreciate sage counsel on what to use.

A bit more detail:
- frame is approx 2002 with inch headset and Prescia forks
- colour is mainly white with some chrome and some pink and blue detailing (no photos, sorry)

Build choices are:
- Alloy Campag modernish groupset with Ergos
- Full Nuovo Record groupset
- lash up of 7400, Superbe Pro and Nuovo Record
- something tasteful rather than any of the above

Also need to consider:
- what colour saddle? Modern or old?
- what colour bar tape?
- what colour rims (silver or black)?

Advice greatly appreciated.

:p

White Flite and blue or pink Colnago bartape.
Black rims
Full period correct Campagnolo group, Chorus or Record

I have to agree on the period-correct groupset but I would have have Shimano. I am not sure what lampre rode at that time but Mapei who rode the same bikes used Shimano.
About saddle color: The only time you can use a white saddle is when you have white bartape. White bartape goes with anything but not the opposite.
And anything but a white or black saddle IS a crime :)

Top advice from Scandinavia.

Although, Shimano? On a Colnago? Are you sure? Regardless of whether any team did it, that is a huge crime (unless I decide to do it and then it's alright).

White bartape and saddle

silver rims

Modernish Campag group

The pre 2008 Sram Rival (all silver) is nice too if you want a shimano compatible option

Andy (13 Colnagos and counting............)

I'd certainly go with the period campag alloy groupset, not sure if they did any carbon bits back then anyhow. Esp since you have some already.

Couple of teams ride (or rode) 'nagos with shimano, notably rabobank from memory. As such a more modern colnago with Shimano is acceptable. Not sure on SRAM though.

Colour matched flite and bar tape is a given.

Nice loooong seatpost in order to maintain the integrity of the seattube.

The alternative is and 'Edwards signature' build. Surely there is room for a M-Nine-Fiddy long cage on your new ride.

Most pro teams on Colnagos rode Shimano (notable Rabo as John said), and of course Mapei :)

A white Regal or Rolls would be my preference over a Flite (and probably cheaper )

Andy

John":2qicy51e said:
Couple of teams ride (or rode) 'nagos with shimano, notably rabobank from memory. As such a more modern colnago with Shimano is acceptable. Not sure on SRAM though.
Granted, with Shimano there would be a washing line on which you hang your sweaty vest to dry. But it violates Edwards' Law - Shimano on a Colnago is wrong :evil:

including pro teams, after all what do they know?

John":2qicy51e said:
The alternative is and 'Edwards signature' build. Surely there is room for a M-Nine-Fiddy long cage on your new ride.

Was thinking RX100 or a Suntour Blaze to be honest as I have them spare and with the RX100 being low rent and in a mix'n'match build it is not inconsistent with Edwards' Law.

fatfixie":2xnaqnh1 said:
.... A white Regal or Rolls would be my preference over a Flite (and probably cheaper )

Andy

Rolls or Regal saddles are never wrong on a classic bike like that (except when they are not black or white) :)

Shimano on Colnago is more about pro team sponsorship deals than style.

You just have to look at the ghastly Mapei kit designs to see they know nothing about style...

For example style rule 1: shorts should only be black to avoid the liver sausage look when standing on the podium :shock:

It has to be Campag, with a Regal, Rolls or Concor.

Back