Raleigh 753 frame advice required

lastpubrunner

Retro Guru
I've recently acquired a (mid 1980s) Reynolds 753R (the imperial size 753 racing tube set) frame (size 56) - it has a Raleigh SB number (SB7953) and 753R decals, so I presume that it is 753 ?

The rear dropouts are 126mm; I heard that 753 frames cannot be cold-sprung.

What would be the best choice for wheels - should I go for a 7 speed cassette or should I look for a 6 speed freewheel ?

Anyone have any such 700c wheels (126mm) for 7 speed cassette to sell ?

Can anyone tell me what the original seat bolt would have been like ? Would it have been an allen key bolt ? Imperial fitting ? Does anyone know what size ?

Any other advice about suitable bits would be gratefully received[/img]

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,976
  • pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,976
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,976
I have a Look 753r frame with a 127mm (6 speed) spacing. Currently, it has a 130mm 8 speed campy hub between the drop outs. I didn't cold set it. I just spread it a little each time I install the rear wheel. No problem so far. YMMV.

Not heard 753 couldn't be cold set.

Nice frame.

Maybe try asking on the TI Raleigh Yahoo group, some very knowledgeable people there (think some post here but no regularly).

John":dgd231lt said:
Not heard 753 couldn't be cold set.

Nice frame.

Maybe try asking on the TI Raleigh Yahoo group, some very knowledgeable people there (think some post here but no regularly).

Many thanks for that - I'll give the group a try.

I contacted Bob Jackson's & Brian Rourke's this morning; they both told me that 753R cannot be cold set. Bob Jackson's said that some 753 frames were built with 531 stays and could be cold set, but if a frame is made entirely from 753 it cannot be coldset. Both also said that it would be wrong to try to force-fit a 130mm rear wheel to fit, since the frame would be in a 'state of tension' and would be more likely to fail.

I've just spotted these hubs - could they be built hub into a suitable wheel ?

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Sunt ... r-4530.htm

IF I were to use a 126 mm oln hub for a cassette, would any 6 or 7 speed cassette fit ? Would there be any sort of restriction in the range ?

Thank you for your undoubted patience !!!

Good knowledge there. Pretty sure Rourke at least is 753 approved so would assume he knows his stuff!

As for the groupset if you go for anything reasonably period it would be spaced 126 OLN. Sure you could find a set of record hubs for not masses and get a screw on block to fit. If you really want to go cassette you should be able to find some of the shimano 7sp road hubs with 126 spacing.

Unless you have a suntour cassette available I'd avoid those.

I've currently got three hubs as possibilities (all for freewheels 126mm)

Mavic 501s, C-Record & (modern day) Suntour Superbe Pro

Are they 'much of a muchness' or does one of these stand out ?

Might it be worth 'splashing out on a Royce hub ? Would I notice any difference ?

Thank everyone who has taken the trouble to respond !!!

lastpubrunner":2gp6glsz said:
.... & (modern day) Suntour Superbe Pro
not modern day as I recall (unless there's some new-fangled suntour stuff out there). Suntour superbe components & groupsets were an alternative to campag, shimano or mavic back in the 80's.

If I were you, I'd go for a 7 speed shimano cassette. Its the most common, cassettes are still available, its a much better design than a screw on block system, modern shimano derailleurs still work with it and period wise it fits with your frame.

pigman":1oxzxmto said:
lastpubrunner":1oxzxmto said:
.... & (modern day) Suntour Superbe Pro
not modern day as I recall (unless there's some new-fangled suntour stuff out there). Suntour superbe components & groupsets were an alternative to campag, shimano or mavic back in the 80's.

If I were you, I'd go for a 7 speed shimano cassette. Its the most common, cassettes are still available, its a much better design than a screw on block system, modern shimano derailleurs still work with it and period wise it fits with your frame.

There are some here -

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cid/SNQ1WKNL ... e-3282.htm

On the pic of the entire frame, a sort of 'tab' can be seen (below the top tube and close to the head stem) - what is it for ?

Back