All consuming....

wired99

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Is it me? This started when one day as I was looking at Ebay for some drawers and somehow ended up looking at and buying some no-name steel bike! A late night drive into the depths of Suffolk and a five hour round trip I had the bike at home here in Sussex. Next morning I was out on the tarmac and smitten. After riding alu for so long the feel of the steel frame was, well, amazing. The way it rode every bump as if on a velodrome, the way the old-school brakes shuddered to a halt. The gentle chatter of that Campag Record mech. Yes, the bug had bitten big time. Since then I seem to spend all my time scouring sites like this for components, frames, information, history, brochures, catalogues, pics.. whatever, you name it. It doesn't seem like a day passes without me evaluating ther merits of Shimano AX or whether it will be red or blue Deda tape on the Moser. It has become, if i am truly honest, a complete and utter all-consuming addiction.

I write this as I sit here surrounded with frames, components, and Pro Cycling magazines... Non built but all promising the ultimate satisfaction once I can stop searching and start actually building. But where's the time for that?

Is it only me?..

Wired99

I spent quite a bit of time building/buying bikes but when I had a road bike, a cross bike, a spare cross bike, a retro MTB and a really classic retro MTBI decided to stop getting any more. I agree, it can become an obsession.

The question is, now you are a fully-fledges member of 'Retro-bikers Anonymous', what can you going to do about it?

wired99":41ydiyc9 said:
After riding alu for so long the feel of the steel frame was, well, amazing. The way it rode every bump as if on a velodrome, the way the old-school brakes shuddered to a halt.

If you think steel is amazing, you should try the early carbon tubes with aluminum lugs frame. Going over every bump is like you are riding on velodrome with full suspension. ;)

Back