please help me with my.......wheel

dirtydaniel

Retro Guru
So close to finishing my first road build... I've learnt a heap stripping and rebuilding this bike, it's close, but I have a problem with the back wheel I feel underqualified to sort out... so am hoping some knowledgeable gent on here will be able to help me.

My old back wheel was aligned perfectly (central in the frame) but the hub and bearings were shot.
I got a great newer pair off this forum but the rear hub sits differently in the frame.
It sits fine in the dropouts, there is no play, but it's just not centered in the frame - like so :

2.JPG

There doesn't seem to be any room for adjustment that I can see, however I think it's something to do with this nut here
3.JPG

that is too far out. It's like this nut needs to be further "inside" the back cassette if you see what I mean.

The other side
4.JPG

So is it a case of loosening one side and tightening the other up?

Sorry to seem like a n00b but as I said this is my first road bike build and I really don't know much about hub adjustment.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks guys :cool:

If you loosen one and tighten the other all you are doing is moving the axle along. Everything else stay put (relatively)
What does it look like the if you put it in back to front.

It is not dished correctly for your bike. Be that that nut or the rim alignment to the hub itself.

The only way to alter that nut is to remove a spacer from somewhere just inside of it and that is only if there is one. Though you might make the bottom rings too close to the frame. I don't know how close Road bikes run to the frame.

You could make a quick 'dishing tool' out of cardboard if you wanted to check that way, will send details if nobody has any suggestions.

thanks for the reply fluffychicken.

If I turn the wheel round the other way it aligns perfectly to the frame :shock:

I don't know what dishing is I'm afraid, so am interested in the tool, please send details...

I've PM'd you

but
Only problem I can see is
.. if it lines up properly one way and not the other then the centre line of the wheel is in the middle of that (I think) so maybe your frame is slightly out as well as the wheel being out of dish. I could of course be very much wrong or it's not sitting in the dropouts (slots the axle sits in) properly or something else the rest might pic up on.

If you still have the old wheel, try the same thing.

If your frame is still straight or not I wouldn't be able to tell, but in your picture, you want the rim to move to the right. You can achieve this by tightening the nipples on the spokes that go to the cassette side flange on your hub, and loosening them on the non-cassette side.

if the wheel is out of line like in the pic, then when you turn the wheel round it should also be out of line, but to the other side. This would mean the wheel is not properly dished and the frame is straight. The fact that you say its different means the frame is out of line, like FC said.

(think ive done a pigs ear explaining that, hope you get it)

thanks to now knowing what I was actually talking about, I just took it up to my LBS and got the wheel re-dished for a measly £8.

Fits fine now, and I can get on with the build - cheers for all your help everyone :cool:

Back