Anyone know about Schauff

longbeech

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Dont know about the branding but:

Lots of bikes this age had crap bits on a good frame.it has nice wraparound stays, wheel adjusters and nice lugs. Prob good frame material equivalent to 501db or even 531 main tubing if you are lucky.

those Aero cranks are very light but a bit flexy

clean it up or respray and go out and have a laugh.

I'm afraid to say that it's Rudi Altig not Altic. Perhaps the end of the 'g' has worn off ;)

He was a very good rider on road and track but he was the man that Tom Simpson beat to become World Champion. :D

A friend bought one from a Turkisch Dutch bike trader in Amsterdam for a couple tenners. It is now in Sammlung Embacher ;) 1 of 3 ...and with an interesting history.

From what I know from Schauff, I understand that that bike is more or less the exception. Falk, a fellow OWMTBC attendent from Germany, informed me it is a major brand without such thing as a special division for custom/perfomance frames, like for example Gazelle (or Batavus) had in Holland. More gas pipe of the mill and so on.

between the Track bikes

Can you imagine: Parked between a couple old Dutch bikes. Turkish guy had no clue what to do with it; 'Useless bike!'

ex-olympic, used by German team

I was introduced to Hans Schauff at the Cologne Show many years ago. He clicked his heels and bowed, very politely.
With his bald head, long coat and scarf, looked a lot like Fester Adams !

Nice bloke though.

Back