Tub cement

mattsccm

Senior Retro Guru
Being a tight arse I wonder if anyone knows a more readily available glue that serves the same purpose as tub cement. Tubes are totally uneconomical and tins go hard or costs bomb. I am working on the principle that tub cement is a commercial adhesive packaged for the tyre people. Agreed they may by it by the thousand gallon. the old Clement stuff was good.
Any suggestions?

I don't think rim cement is like ordinary glue you can buy in the shops, as it seems to stay somewhat tacky and never completely sets, unless it's old glue that's been on a rim for years.

Anyway it's not that expensive, even if there's an alternative I wouldn't think it's going to be that much cheaper. How about putting some pebbles in the tin to help prevent a large air gap. Or a solvent to thin out the glue, although the solvent probably is very nasty stuff.

edit: corrected typo

I used to like the old Dunlop cement which - to me - seemed to stay 'tackier' longer than Clement etc. However - and this is a true tale - once upon a time a top UK continental based pro visited our then LBS and brought with him a top continental pro and ex-TDF winner who was riding the Vaux GP next day and who wanted some rim cement. Without thinking LBS owner gave him a tin of Dunlop which the continental pro virtually threw back at him saying 'What is this??!! I want Clement!!' British pro then explained that Dunlop was not liked on the continent because it melted under the heat of braking on long descents whereas Clement didn't. Luckily LBS also stocked Clement so continental pro went on his way a happy little man.

What about tape? The tufo stuff is meant to be good. No mess either.

Back