early 80s racer no seat clamp ? help please

cyclerelic

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
hello i just got a great yellow peugeot racer
it as been striped and re sprayed in a retro looking yellow years ago still in the plastic wrap from spray shop !
but it has no seat clap ?
and no split in the frame and bolt part to clamp onto post
can someone please help me
i want this on the road soon as poss
allso looking for cable guides that go under bottom bracket
thanks please help

peugeot racers seat post ?

hopefully youll see these pix
i need a seat post but no clamp
or bolt hole and split on frame just a hole for the post
the top of the hole is not cut flat its got a nice curve to it
how do i fit a seat post ? thank you

Attachments

• 4117999338_0f2a135c52_m.jpg
    4117999338_0f2a135c52_m.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 2,266
I can only think that the existing clamp area has cracked, and it's been machined back to undmaged metal and refinished..............but then, there would have to be some way of securing the seatpost, or it wasn't worth respraying!! Anyone ever heard of some kind of expander/quill wedge or collet arrangement?? That would still need a flat end on the seat tube, not the curve that you have there..........

I am intregwee'd...........hope somebody has the answer! :p

Very curious.
Short of bonding a sleeve in there not sure how that works.
Did you ask the people who sprayed it ?

racer seat post help

thanks both
the guy that had it done passed away his dad still runs his shop in birmingham
another bike shop in brum said there is a clamp to do this sort of thing
just trying to get info on it
its very strange
the frame is like new
still in its plastic spray shop wraper from years ago
ask about for me please
see this pix looks like this one has no seat pin to ?
thank you

Attachments

• 3[1].jpg
    3[1].jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 2,276
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Some models of Vitus carbon frame do not have a seat clamp, just like this. They use a seat pin that has an expander like a quill stem tightened from the top ie under the saddle. Can't say that I like the idea as it must be awkward to set an accurate seat height and it must be very fiddly to adjust slightly when you're out on the road for the first couple of times.

EDIT - just looked at the links above and this must be the type although it looks a bit 'industrial' for a top link carbon frame. However they are all French so the design might have been fashionable in La France in the 80's.

80s french racer seat post help atax

thanks for all your help
getting a little closer to it
are the atax all one diameter ? or lots of sizes friday i will size up the post hole
and if its right buy that one if its not gone by them ...
any other info would be great
keep your eyes out for me
cant wait to ride the old cycle soon hopefully...keep you posted

I had a Peugeot Galibier back in the early 80's. 501 tubes with a fastback seatstay and the seat pillar had a handlebar stem fixing bolt system. It was black with chrome forks and a sort of chessboard pattern in some places. It was all French threads too .. yuk !

why not modify a seatpost to fit?

If you know the diameter of the seat tube, you could use a long stem bolt and wedge to make something fit - dont know how strong or reliable it would be though!

Back