Ex-pro race Principia rebuild

ashridge

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Nearing the end of a Pace RC200 rebuild, I was looking for my winter project.

I've just bought a year 2000 Principia Rex Pro, part of the Linda McCartney pro race team. As they didn't do replicas this must have been a team bike.

While the frame/forks are sound, the former is quite tatty. Actually, very tatty.

My dillemma is should I get it stripped, resparayed, get some new decals made and have it all clearcoated i.e. a full restoration. It would mean a lot to me because Spencer Smith and Max Sciandri (who both rode for the team) are heroes! Or should I leave it as is because that refelects the bike's life experience.

Either way it will be built up using period Dura Ace/ITM parts.

Thoughts anyone?

Retroboy":1r7u1z6w said:
Can you post up some pics so we can all have a look before deciding?
Would help...
Above the normal age/use related issues, there is large bald patch where the front mech fixes and what is less visible is that there is about 10cm of badly bubbling paint at the base of the down tube.

The decals on the non-camera side are also peeling off through the topcoat.

Attachments

• Principia Rex Pro LM.jpg
    Principia Rex Pro LM.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 6,405
Looks fine to me.
Would never re paint my old road bike.
Another option would be someone like Atlantic Boulevard who may be able to do a good job touching up.
I have considered this.

Jerome":1fe39uv0 said:
Get the book here.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Team-Run-McCart ... 1840187824
Think I remember reading this..

I used to work with John Deering at (dare I say it?) Halfords when I was a youngster. The book's a biography of the team mixed with a fair amount of humour and definitely worth a read if you're into professional cycling.

Edit: Oh yeah, I meant to say I'd leave it as is or get it touched up but don't do a complete restore job on it. The battle scars are part of it's charm as an ex-pro's bike.

Very nice bike the Rex, I had one on test in 2001 , but went for the compact RS6 Pro, virtually same frame... but climbed better.. absolutely beautiful bikes to ride, here's my RS6 pro.. :)

IMG_0255-1.jpg

I'd leave it as is or get it touched up but don't do a complete restore job on it. The battle scars are part of it's charm as an ex-pro's bike.

Agreed... :)

Back