Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:56 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:24 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

sinnett177 wrote:
Old Ned wrote:
I could be up for a Cheshire ride but if we're talking time trials why not consider the Planet X 'Old Skool' events next year. Several of them around the country through the year. I'd be happy to guide people into the entry methods etc. if you've never done it before.

I think 30 miles is to long for an initial TT - it's further than you think if you're not used to it! 10 miles would be better.

That sounds idea Old Ned, glad you've shown an interest in this. Was kind of hoping you would :wink:

Still think a more of a casual approach might be better. i.e. we meet up have a laugh, admire bikes and have a nice sociable ride with regular stops. aka Peaks style but on the road.

Thought I'd keep you in suspenders for a while :wink:

I agree about the type of ride, make it more of a casual affair - in a not-to-hilly area with plenty of quiet lanes, nice cafes and sunshine :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:29 pm 
Deputy National AEC
Deputy National AEC

Thats the spirit old boy. Do you know anywhere suitable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:37 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

sinnett177 wrote:

As a matter of fact I do! The area east of Pontefract, south (and possibly a bit North as well) of the M62 and down to Askern is ideal with cafes in Askern, Womersley, Carlton (by Snaith) and a network of quiet well surfaced roads. Used a lot by local groups and riders. Look up Darrington, Womersley, Kirk Smeaton etc. on a map and you'll see what I mean.

Most of my road riding is in this area these days. Easy to get to from the M62, A19 and A1. It may be possible to book a local village hall for a meeting place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:49 pm 
Deputy National AEC
Deputy National AEC

Old Ned wrote:
sinnett177 wrote:

As a matter of fact I do! The area east of Pontefract, south (and possibly a bit North as well) of the M62 and down to Askern is ideal with cafes in Askern, Womersley, Carlton (by Snaith) and a network of quiet well surfaced roads. Used a lot by local groups and riders. Look up Darrington, Womersley, Kirk Smeaton etc. on a map and you'll see what I mean.

Most of my road riding is in this area these days. Easy to get to from the M62, A19 and A1. It may be possible to book a local village hall for a meeting place.

Personally I think that is ideal. Maybe not for all, but to get the Retro Bike Road scene on it's feet, perfect.

Does this sound like a plan to those who've expressed an interest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:31 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

By the way Mark - do you actually have a road bike at the moment? I thought you'd sold the one you had - or are you looking to borrow one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:38 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

sinnett177 wrote:
Old Ned wrote:
sinnett177 wrote:

Personally I think that is ideal. Maybe not for all, but to get the Retro Bike Road scene on it's feet, perfect.

Does this sound like a plan to those who've expressed an interest?

Aye, pencil me in. I work every other weekend so here's hoping it's a suitable date.

The early 80's Cinelli is still in the box (slacker :oops: ) so it'll have to be the Gios.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:43 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

Yeah, would be on for this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:51 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

I'll make some enquiries about village halls. Bygone Bykes CC use Pollington for their annual AGM so that's a possibility.

Will the forum fund the rental or will we need to have a whip round?

Date is also to be settled and Saturday or Sunday?. I would suggest next Spring sometime to give the sun a chance to warm up the roads for us. I'll need to check the early season TT calendar which won't be available for a while yet though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:52 pm 
Deputy National AEC
Deputy National AEC

Old Ned wrote:
By the way Mark - do you actually have a road bike at the moment? I thought you'd sold the one you had - or are you looking to borrow one?

Must admit I have no traditional road bike, but instead I have my alpinestars geared up as a hybrid/commuter with 1" tyres. These roadie types don't know whats hit them when I blast past on the A6 on route to work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:57 pm 
Deputy National AEC
Deputy National AEC

Old Ned wrote:
I'll make some enquiries about village halls. Bygone Bykes CC use Pollington for their annual AGM so that's a possibility.

Will the forum fund the rental or will we need to have a whip round?

Date is also to be settled and Saturday or Sunday?. I would suggest next Spring sometime to give the sun a chance to warm up the roads for us. I'll need to check the early season TT calendar which won't be available for a while yet though!

Not sure we need a village hall, but if we did a whip round might be necessary, you know what we are like a car park would suffice. Agree with spring time, will give a few an opportunity to blow some cob webs away.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next