Powder Coating an old frame

lastpubrunner

Retro Guru
I'm considering getting an old frame powder coated.

What I'd like to know is -

In order to get a similar effect to a more traditionally painted bike, would it be possible to overpaint the powder coat on the head tube ?

Or would that part (head tube) have to be masked off during the powder coating process ?

In other words, can 'contrasts' be achieved with powder coating and perhaps using another paint on top ? (or by any method ?)

Is it possible to do lug lining on a powder coated frame ?

Ta for any advice !

lastpubrunner":1hdz94vi said:

In order to get a similar effect to a more traditionally painted bike, would it be possible to overpaint the powder coat on the head tube ?

Or would that part (head tube) have to be masked off during the powder coating process ?

In other words, can 'contrasts' be achieved with powder coating and perhaps using another paint on top ? (or by any method ?)

Ta for any advice !

I've never had anything done over powdercoat before - and although I am sure there's nothing stopping you, I probably wouldn't.

If its a bike you like I'd let bob Jackson's do the work (although I woudn't always recommend them!). By the time you have messed around getting the paint stripped, had the frame powder coated and then had the threads re-tapped (do not rely on a powder coater to keep these masked), their price of £75 for a single colour is good value. Obviously, add more for lug lining and an overspray, but this is all stuff that they have listed and priced up, so there won't be any shocks when you get the bill - plus, enamel is much nicer looking than powder.

i-am-iron-man":1qbs7aty said:
lastpubrunner":1qbs7aty said:

Ta for any advice !

I've never had anything done over powdercoat before - and although I am sure there's nothing stopping you, I probably wouldn't.

If its a bike you like I'd let bob Jackson's do the work (although I woudn't always recommend them!). By the time you have messed around getting the paint stripped, had the frame powder coated and then had the threads re-tapped (do not rely on a powder coater to keep these masked), their price of £75 for a single colour is good value. Obviously, add more for lug lining and an overspray, but this is all stuff that they have listed and priced up, so there won't be any shocks when you get the bill - plus, enamel is much nicer looking than powder.

Many thanks for the message - I'm very interested - and Bob Jackson's aren't too far away !

If you want lug lining in gold or silver, those metallic ink pens that the girls like writing cards with work very well. :D

lastpubrunner":16abiqbv said:

Ta for any advice !

You can paint over powder coat ive done it myself on quite a few frames over the years. Definitely mask the head tube I always check the masking before the coater gets it just so I know its done properly.

Armourtex in Hackney have a very good reputation for powdercoating - strip and powdercoat for £50. Flat colours look pretty good but their 'metallics' are awful (just some metalflake added to clearcoat over the top of the colour - it doesn't work like that!)

http://www.armourtexltd.co.uk/cycles.html

The main advantage of powdercoat over enamel is toughness - enamel does look quite a bit nicer but powdercoat is so tough you can dent the frame without chipping the paint! So for a commuter or daily, powdercoat is a good option.

Personally what I'm going to do on all my custom bikes is paint them myself (used to spray cars so I know what I'm doing!) and then get a very tough clearcoat powdered on. So you get the quality of modern 2-pack paint (and great metallics, pearls and candies) with the toughness of powdercoat.

I would (and did) powdercoat a MTB or something that's going to be ridden to work and back every day in all weathers, but not a road bike.

Cycle-specific places are dear, but you must consider:

* You drop your bike off and pick it up finished. You don't have to take it to one place to have the paint removed, to a painters, then to the LBS to have the threads tapped. I can't even do anything like this without taking time off work.
* Everything is professionally finished. When I've painted something outside using an aerosol, it looks like I've painted it outside using an aerosol.
* Sometimes guys that are used to doing industrial-type jobs can be a bit rough-and-ready. I've been somewhere that did chemical stripping and somewhere to blast a frame. They were cheap and quick but I will never use them again. Remember, metal tube no thicker than a sheet of paper does not respond well to grit being directed at it at high pressure.
* Stove enamel is beautiful to the eye; powder is not.

I think a £75 paint job at Bob Jackson's is a steal. Just go in there focussed on what you want, don't take any shit off them and you'll be fine...

Back