Cinelli 1R

Simplex

Retro Guru
Hi,

I'm hoping to resurrect this stem that I took off years ago as it would not clamp securely. The clamp screw is damaged ( probably from me overdoing it ) and the "clampy bit" :roll: on the left is worn smooth from the bars rotating. Is there a known fix for this stem as it is too pretty to throw away ?

thanks, Alex

Cinelli_1R.jpg

Personally I am not a big fan of the 1R stem, but they sure offer pleasing aesthtics. I've spotted several were the quite light inside clamping bit was probably overtighted and had cracked. Currently I have 2 in use though. One on a bike I never ride and the other on a bike that sees quite a lot miles, the Alan. It is holding quite well on that bike - fortunately :)

I'm thinking of adding some MIG wire or maybe something thicker like spoke wire. Has anyone tried this ? Or how about drilling holes and using small BBs ?

clamp_mig_wire.jpg

Not sure about the BB idea. I'd perhaps try something rubbery on it like self amalgamating tape as this will grip it.

Or for example use Loctite 668 for cylindric fittings

Wouldn't choose for it myself, but only trying to help finding an acceptable solution

Back