What Tyres?

njgoldby

Retro Guru
I am new to road bikes and just starting my first road build. I have been looking for for tyres. It is pretty hard to find a tyre that is not either coloured or with colourful logos.
Ideally I want some thing black with just a small white logo maybe. Also needs to be a good quality tyre.

Any suggestions?

Oh will be used for commuting evening rides etc. Not racing.

You want something for a modern or older ride? If it's older you'll want skinwall veloflex. If modern either pro race 3 or conti gatorskin. All my opinion of course.

Sounds like a job for a conti GP 4 Season. Not too industrial rides really nice and is quite demure. Could try a Veloflex pave, I've a pair of Veloflex Black and they're lovely.

kaiser":154fuxbu said:
Sounds like a job for a conti GP 4 Season. Not too industrial rides really nice and is quite demure. Could try a Veloflex pave, I've a pair of Veloflex Black and they're lovely.

Veloflex are indeed rather choice. Used to ride them exclusively in the summer, however found they cut up really easy and wore badly. Not sure if it's just because I'm fat and clumsy though...

Yeah not exactly robust, I don't think I'd commute with them but the ride is fast and smooth, allegedly the closest you'll get to a tub.

I'd second both the Gatorskin and the GP 4 Season. I run them all year round on rural lanes with plenty of cattle grids. The Gatorskin has slightly harder tread. Both run fast, but the GP is definitely a little quicker.

My head may have been turned by Rivendell's championing of Panaracer, but I think these look nice and simple - haven't found them in the UK with the brown sidewall though :( .

I do like the look of Rivendell's Jack Brown tires too, but of course they're not in the UK. My wife's cousin flies over here maybe 5 times a year, so may get him to bring me some next time.

Thanks guys.

I've just had a look at Veloflex, GP 4s and Gatorskins.
I must say I think the Veloflex would suit the bike best in black. Its Italian.

I am guessing that the GP's feel faster than the gatorskins because of the compound?

I want this bike to feel fast as I have other bikes to poutle about on.

Anyone use Vredesteinn Fortezza's? Someone sold a red Bianchi on here a short time ago and I really liked its simple classic look.
The tyres were as mentioned and are all black with just small white logo.

Attachments

• Bianchi.jpg
    Bianchi.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 749
I think that the GPs have a softer compound, maybe also a lighter and more supple carcass than the Gators (perhaps a thinner anti-puncture strip).

Back