One for the Roadies, front mech advice

ape

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Ok this is completely different territory for me as I know nothing about road bikes but, the bike I have got has a strange shape frame and believe that the front mech or have been told is a XT braze on one, I was thinking is there any reason in that case why I could not replace it with something like a nice campag one?, obviously would need to be triple chainring compatible but other than that is there any reason I couldn't?

legrandefromage":25wcjkf7 said:

Cheers mate, I've had a look ebay and seen what they look like but am just wondering if there's any reason I cant run one, just would be nicer to have something different to the stock XT one, wasn't sure if they run on different ratios or anything like SRAM do with their high end mech's meaning you cant use them with shimano stuff

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
triple road stuff - upto 53t and beyond

MTB stuff - a bit fishy beyond 46t

retro MTB stuff - cool up to 50t

Modern road stuff - cool up to 50t

theres so much to choose from

The only thing you have to be careful about is the shifters.

Since indexing came to front mechs (for the life of me I cannot see why it was necessary) the leverage issues and pull per click problems are back.

So Shimano road and MTB fronts are incompatible (there are workarounds by repositioning the cable) and I have no idea about Campag.

I run a Record double with a 42/29 Middleburn Duo using thumbies because it is dinky and light. The profile of the cage is not quite right, but is partly made up for by the slacker seat tube angle. You can have problems on some frames with the back tip of the cage hitting the chainstay.

It's very much a 'see if it works' situation. If you are using clicky front shifters, you are probably stuck.

hamster":1t1ucxna said:
The only thing you have to be careful about is the shifters.

Since indexing came to front mechs (for the life of me I cannot see why it was necessary) the leverage issues and pull per click problems are back.

So Shimano road and MTB fronts are incompatible (there are workarounds by repositioning the cable) and I have no idea about Campag.

I run a Record double with a 42/29 Middleburn Duo using thumbies because it is dinky and light. The profile of the cage is not quite right, but is partly made up for by the slacker seat tube angle. You can have problems on some frames with the back tip of the cage hitting the chainstay.

It's very much a 'see if it works' situation. If you are using clicky front shifters, you are probably stuck.

Yeah am using XT shifters the under bar jobbies at the minute, reason I asked is I know that a lot of downhillers have been using shimano Tiagra rear mechs with cheap sram shifters, so wondered if I could mix a campag front mech with my xt levers

I've got a tiagra front mech and deore indexed shifters fitted to my kili and they work fine. If your running a big ring the mech should be high enough to clear the stay, not sure about campag though.

Back