square taper cranks and modern outside bearing BB's

Senri

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I know it is at least debatable if this question should be asked here at Retrobike, but there are so many knowledgeable people here, I don't think it is a real crime.
For a singlespeed project, I would like to use track type cranks which need a BB with square taper, but the frame is build for modern type BB's with the axle connected to the crank (the bearing on the outside things). Is there a solution to this, other then using new style cranksets, or can old style BB's also used? (is the thread maybe the same in the frame?)
Now I write this I am actually getting more and more confused. Is there actually a real difference on the frame (I don't have it yet)?

You should be fine - the threads are identical so the conventional square taper BB should fit fine.

The only thing to check is the BB shell width and whether it's an Italian or English thread.

what hamster said!
there is no difference and provided you get the right standard bb (BSA or ITA) itll fit perfectly.

Thanks guys! I slowly thought about that to during writing, but I am very glad you gave me the confirmation. At least i can stilll use the good old fashioned squares!

Back