Vintage Dunelt lightweight (1959?)

Jonas

Dirt Disciple
Hi!
Found and bought a vintage lightweight Dunelt in good condition. I post here because I think it would be nice to here if someone have some information abut the bike and the brand Dunelt. I have googeld but didin´t find much usefull information.

Spec:
Frame: Reynolds 531
Hubs: Campagnolo record, 5 speed
RD: Campagnolo Gran Sport (1 st or 2 generation)
FD: Campagnolo
Brakes: Weinmann
Crankset: William
SSaddle: Brooks Swallow leather
Rims: Weinmann 630 mm
pedals: Campagnolo
Headset: Campagnolo
Handlebar: GB
Stem: GB

So if anyone have some information, please post.

Jonas
Sweden

Picture, bad cell phone pic... Better pictures futher down in this thread!

dunelt.jpg

VERY nice. I would say definitely a '50's machine in excellent condition. Almost a 'time-warp' example.

Any chance of some more detailed photos?

I like it!

Yes I'm planning to take some detailed photos this WE. It's has some schratches and marks, mainly on the top tube but the components is in great condition. I begin to understand that the bike is quite unusual.

Here is my Dunelt 10 speed bought new in New York in 1966. Frame # on bottom of BB tube is k7040, the code on the Williams cranks is ZC which is 1962. The Dunelt head badge says England. Was Equipped with Fiamme aluminum rims. 40 spoke rear 32 front with the Campy hubs. Orig had white plastic composite full fenders with black mudflaps.

Attachments

• IMG00120-20091014-1750.jpg
    IMG00120-20091014-1750.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 2,675
  • IMG00144-20091014-1802.jpg
    IMG00144-20091014-1802.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 2,675
  • IMG00155-20091014-1806.jpg
    IMG00155-20091014-1806.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 2,675
  • IMG00148-20091014-1804.jpg
    IMG00148-20091014-1804.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 2,675
Stugotz: your pics is worse than mine :) but your bike looks like mine. Do you have some better pics of components? The full spec on my bike is posted in this thread, do your bike have the same spec? I will check the crankset to se if I could find some numbers.

Cheers

Jonas

Dunelt 10 speed

You will be looking for letters on the crank arms themselves. Such as ZA, ZB, ZC, ZD etc. They will be located on the arms that side which is facing the cahin sprocket and just near the pedal mounting. And yes our componants seem to be identical other then the rims. I believe these to be built just prior to the company being bought out and not in the new factory.
They all came with fenders, aluminum rims, and all the other stuff that yours has. Still would like to know how close your serial # is to mine. This will help to tell us if they were made at the same time.

My crankset is also ZC but I don't know what the model is called, they have some information on classiglightweight.co.uk but I didn't find my crankset. The frame # on my bike is K5934. Don't know if that means that our bikes are made at the same time but I guess my bike is a 62 too.

I will take some better pictures this WE and post in this thread.

It is very interesting indeed that our frame # is more than 1000 different. The frame for sale on ebay right now you can see it is K708something making it about 40 only different from mine. This is a red frame and appears identical to ours (as unique as they are they are easy to recognize) and he has the stem listed in another listing and it is our stem as well. I am trying to get the crank code and frame # from the one in New York but to date I now know of only four total Dunelt 10 speed bikes. All of the four are componant equipped identically. Even in old literature I don't find evidence of these bikes. At this point I am still maintaining my position that these Dunelts are the rarest English lightweights known. In fact they are not even really known. All of our most highly respected bike experts and old timers on the internet today can not tell you much or anything on these. You hear talk of people remembering a Dunelt 10 speed from the past but never details or a photo, NEVER! And any bike with so many Campy components usually does not end up in the trash so what is going on? Somebody knows the whole story, we just have not found this person yet. Reminding you that back in the mid 1960's a Schwinn Paramount was considered a high end machine. These were higher end for the period.

Latest posts

Back