Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CAMPAG RECORD

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

a.davis12

Old School Hero
new question!
sram is out of the question.

1. used 10 speed record with alloy crankset.
2. new 10 speed record with carbon ultratorque
3. new record 11 speed.

1 = cheapest, no warranty, used:(
2 = middle price, but i don't get warranty or anything.
3 probably most expensive, bling, warranty. yes.

Campy

Campy.
Even though its a modern campy on an older style frame it is more in keeping with its Italian routes and the style of most Colnago rides.
You say its for recreational use so weight doesnt matter as the weight difference between all three is minimal in this situation.
Thats just what I would do and you should choose whichever one you prefer.
Whichever way you go your a lucky person with good taste in frames ;)
Keep us updated with pics and progress, probably best to put it in the road section rather than here.
Good luck with the build

Jamie

that is what i am swaying towards.

only problem with it is thats its not actually a "build" as such if i go the campy route, its just an off the shelf bike.

ill have to sink more money and customize it :D

depending on wait time for the frame i hope to have pictures up soon.

build is now full custom. complete was too much for what it was, went frameset only.
now thinking an older record groupset (10 speed). record hubs/tubbys. good.
:D

Moved to the road forum. This thread needs pics :cool:

I'd suggest 10 speed record with the alloy (rather than carbon) cranks etc.

Campy?? What's that, sounds a bit 'camp'.

I've heard of CAMPAG - that's a lot more butch ;)

Reckon it has to be Campag (never, ever Campy :evil: ) but as The Guvnor says above go with the alloy cranks and Ergos of a slightly older groupset as then you'll have a look that's pretty classic in keeping with the frame but with modern functionality. Oh, and the older groupset should be a bit cheaper too.

Actually, whatever you do don't go with 11 speed Campag as the new horn shape of the Ergos is really ugly (leaving aside function) - indeed this may be where Campag may really lose out to Shimano (at least new Dura Ace and Ultegra with their under the tape cable routing) and Sram as their lever/shifter combos look much more elegant and overall performance will likely be very similar. Sorry, just an aside.

Different countries seem to have different "shortening" of "campagnolo".
"Campy"= Germany, USA
"Campag" = seems to be exclusively UK
"Campa" = Pretty much everywhere else....

My take on this bike is that 2009 Campag ergos are just pig ugly.

SRAM is not much prettier..... when you take into account all the massive logos on everything.

If I were you, I'd be doing my best to dig up a 2008 Dura-Ace groupset....

Carbon levers on a steel frame just don't do it for me.

thanks for moving the thread!
no pictures, as no parts as yet. I have to wait for the frame to be built/sent to me in aus. im also in debt already, so this may take a while:p

I may be able to get hold of a little used record 10sp group that's currently sitting on my girlfriends' dads' bike, so im going for that at the moment, just nedd to speak to him.

DA 7800 is the sex, but its getting harder to find now in good condition and i still really want campag. especially when i consider record hubs laced to tubbies and amber walls.
:D

alright more qs!
First option:
the grouppo on the donor bike is roughly '06, alloy cranks, Ti/carbon rest, fairly sure its not ultratorque. If i can at all, i can buy the complete bike for probably around $2.5k (AUD) and i could easily make half of that back.
BUT this is all dependent on my girlfriends dad being willing to sell me his bike.

Second option:
CRC seems to stock the parts for a comeplete record group. I would go 10 speed, with carbon record cranks and the rest. this is roughly $2k AUD. I personally much prefer ultratorque/external bearing interfaces so this is a big plus for me.

so what do i do? do i go for the cheaper, bit used and older group. or go brand new and shiney group with a few parts i prefer, but at a cost?

Back