My First Modest Refurb. ..Finnished.

mojopete

Dirt Disciple
I found this in a second hand shop for £35. Little did I know what I was taking on. Never done a refurb of vitage bike before, drums yes, bikes no.

Been out of cycling for 40yrs so had little knowledge of bike mechanics, but I have now. :eek:

Its a mid 80s Dave Lloyd (Argos Cycles) 753R frame ,753forks.
I managed to trace the origional owner, his name was on the top tube,
he was
"Boardman's business partner and the man behind Manning's Adidas-Sci-Con team, "
He was't very forthcoming with much info, the origional spec was Campag Super Record groupset with Mavic GP4 wheels.
All of which had been stripped off except for the headtube, downtube shifters and front mech.,and been replaced wirh allsorts of bits and pieces alot of which didnt fit.

I didn't want to spend to much ,new bars, brakes levers, seat, seat tube,cranks, B.B., cables,chain, DIY respay.tyres, tubes, etc,etc. :shock:

Anyway its done now , havent been out on it yet, waiting for shoes.

Attachments

• PICT0008 (Medium).JPG
    PICT0008 (Medium).JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 1,147
  • PICT0009 (Medium).JPG
    PICT0009 (Medium).JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 1,147
  • PICT0010 (Medium).JPG
    PICT0010 (Medium).JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,147
  • PICT0012 (Medium).JPG
    PICT0012 (Medium).JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 1,147
It doesn't look too bad in the before pics,.. but, seat tube was too small, it had been shimmed,bars were heavy steel with STI levers that had never been connected, crank pedal thread stripped,tyres perished, paintwork chipped and scratched.

As I said, I think someone stripped all the SR stuff off and bunged anything on but never finnished it.

top shelf job you did restoring that, stunning! you obveously spent alot of time and energy putting that togeather. :cool:

mojopete":3fmwlgdn said:
Anyway its done now , havent been out on it yet, waiting for shoes.

Wow, now that's self control. I'd have been out on it even if I was wearing my old slippers.

Great bike, lovely colours.

Thanks for the nice comments chaps.

John....The spec is nothing special, I didn't want to spend to much in the present economic climate,.. (skint) :(

Italmanubri ITM Super Italia Pro 225 handlebars, 225 gramms
Cinelli 1A Handlebar Stem
Selle San Marco 'Slim' Race Saddle , Kalloy stem,
Shimano 600 brakes and levers.
No-Name compact alloy chainset (ebay) £25
Shimano 600 rear mech with shimano 7 speed cassette.
Campag SR front mech and friction shifters.
Mavic MA40 wheels with Shimano 600 hubs and Verdestien 23mm tyres.

Think thats about it.
Might give it a run out this weekend. Still no shoes. :oops:

Back