£500 budget: What's the coolest looking bike I can buy? (UK)

Cool Mint

Dirt Disciple
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section because I'm not interested in drop-handle racer type bikes, I'm looking for a purely comfort + style bike preferably with hub gears.

I saw a photo of a 1930's Hawthorne Zep and I thought "oh yes, I want one of those!" but I seriously doubt I could buy one for £500 ($800 US).

*drools*
1936%20Hawthorne%20Zep%204.jpg

My other choice is a Pashley Roadster which would be just within my budget and it's brand new:
pashley-roadster-md.jpg

I don't care if the bike is modern or vintage but I do want it to be a traditional steel framed bike built to high standards. Any suggestions on what bikes might be available to me? I'm in the southwest of England btw.

edit* I wish the forum allowed longer subject titles. :idea:

Have a look at the Felt range of cruisers the 7 spd Heritage could be right up your street.£spd's nice too. Can't find a UK price though maybe need to find a local Felt dealer.

Ooh, now that's pretty. :)
Felt Cruisers seem to be a rarity in the UK, the closest match I've found so far is the Nirve Fifty-Three - no brakes though.

http://www.chopperdome.co.uk/Images/Nirve copyright pictures/53glossblack.jpg

I want to see these bikes up-close, it's hard to tell from glossy air-brushed website photos whether a bike is well-finished or just "plasticky" but I don't think there are any bike stores in my area that stock cruisers.

I guess it's the price you pay if you want a bike that nobody else has got; they have to be hard to find or everyone would have one already.

Huh. My posts aren't posting. :?
One more try:

Ooh, now that's pretty. :)
Felt Cruisers seem to be a rarity in the UK, the closest match I've found so far is the Nirve Fifty-Three - no brakes though.
http://www.chopperdome.co.uk/Images/Nirve copyright pictures/53glossblack.jpg

I want to see these bikes up-close, it's hard to tell from glossy air-brushed website photos whether a bike is well-finished or just "plasticky" but I don't think there are any bike stores in my area that stock cruisers.

I guess it's the price you pay if you want a bike that nobody else has got; they have to be hard to find or everyone would have one already.

Cool Mint":pu08zmgj said:
What's going on? Can anyone else see my posts? I posted twice but they show as blank for me. :?:
Fixed, be careful with those url tags ;)

Ah, thanks Kaiser and John. I forgot about that url thing.

Damn, I've got £500 burning a hole in my pocket and I've still got to wait!
I really like the look of the Pashley but I don't want to blow money on the wrong bike. There used to be a shop in Exeter selling chopper bicycles; that was years ago and I've never been in there but maybe they stock cruisers.

My local shop (Atkins in Leamington) used to do some cruiser style bikes as per the first pictured. Unsure of the brand.

Alternately the Pashleys look sweet and have a little British history too. Particularly like the guv'nor although understand it's a bit more than you want to spend...

Back