Holdsworth - any idea what year?

wired99

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi all

Newbie here so go lightly..
I have just aquired a Holdsworth bike of fmy father-in-law and am trying to work out what sort of year it is? It's a 531 frame, Campy Gran Nuovo Sport front and rear deraillier, Sakae chainset, GB stem, and Sunshine wheels (which sadly seem beyond help). The frame has a 'Les West Autograph Edition' sticker on the top tube. I have looked up all the Holdsworth stuff I can fine and can't seem to see this model anywhere. Any ideas?

I'm thinking of renovating it, would it be worth spending any money on or should just touch it up and leave it at that? Frame has surface rust but looks pretty siloid.

Any advise thankfully received,

Holdsworth

Hmm, had another skit on the net and I think this is it..

Autograph76.jpg

Anyone got one? It looks half-decent I guess..

Wired99[/img]

Welcome.

My dad's got one - the 5-speed model - bought in the late seventies and still quite original. I don't think his has SR cranks, but I might be mistaken.

It's not a bad bike - plain gauge 531 weighs a fair bit more than the butted version, but it's quite nicely put together and finished for what was a mid-range bike of the time.

would it be worth spending any money on or should just touch it up and leave it at that?
It's probably not one to spend a lot of money on to bring back to concours condition, but it should make a decent runabout, commuter, hack, fixie...

If yours has the original Weinmann brakes, they often have a date stamp on the rear.

Thanks for the info one-eyed Jim...
I stripped it all down today and apart from a totally corroded front wheel everything looks ok. I think i'll rub down the surface rust on the frame and respray that, buy a s/h wheelset, new pedals, saddle, and s/h bars (the GB one are soooo small!) and see how it is. It's got some lovely capag braze-ons, and a particularly beautifuly made cable stay that have come up lovely with the coke/foil treatment..

Gonna do it up and ride it back to father-in-laws and cheer him up. It's just been laying in his shed since 1982!

Cheers again,

Wired99

Back