my Claud Butler project

lukepm

Retro Newbie
i found this in my parent's garage and aim to restore it to it's former glory. i believe it is a late 70's holdsworth claud butler (no idea what model) on a reynolds 531 frame. it's been sitting there for around 15 years and is pretty tatty.
I've stripped it down to the frame and that is being repainted this week. I want to keep and restore as many of the parts as possible.
Any advice from anyone who has done similar would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 2,627
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 2,627
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 2,627
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 2,627
What a fine ride.

I'd urge you to not get too obsessed in the details, go for the period look if that is what suits your fancy but maybe don't try to be a perfectionist. You've got a win-win situation it looks like.

Cool!

I'll have a spare set of 27 inch wheels soon, Mavic on Miche hubs with new-ish Michelin World Tour tires that'll suit this right down to the ground.

miche_wheels_124.jpg

£65 GBP inc delivery, new freewheel and spare Miche backwheel

thanks for all the replies, the frame is currently being repainted. In the meantime, i've had a chance to look at the groupset and other stuff. I was hoping for some advice on what to keep, and if necessary what replacements to use.

- I want to keep the Shimano 600 front and rear as I love the way they look and after a thorough clean they are in good nick

- I need a bottom bracket. As i'm a total newbie with this stuff I was hoping for some advice. I was thinking of a Campy Veloce if it'll fit.

- The existing Sakae chainset has mismatched cranks and I can't find a replacement Silstar left crank. Being fussy, i'm thinking of replacing the entire thing. Is there an issue with putting a new chain on an old chainset? I was thinking of buying a secondhand Campy set or perhaps a new Veloce set.

- I need a seat post and saddle

- I'm keeping the Lyotard pedals, Weinmann brakes and the GB handlebars (they are a bit scratched but the etching looks great) I need a headset. Probably Campy again.

Basically, I want to be able to ride this bike daily, so whilst I want to keep it looking period, I don't want to compromise it's usability. So i'm willing to use new bits as long as they look right.

I'll post pics of the repainted frame when I get it back.

claud butler

i presume it is the same spec as the holdsworth mistral i just sold on..if so I acquired the original spec tubular campag hub/ super champion rims if your interested in them...they are of no use to me..at the moment!...here is the link to my thread..i think there is a link to the holdsworth mistral spec, if not just google holdsworth up.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71193

Latest posts

Back