Ken Bird Frame - 27" or 700c Wheels??? or bent fork?

thedirtyroger

Retro Guru
I got this frame of this site a few weeks back (Thanks NickD), the seller was under the impresion that it was a 27" wheel frame as that was how he recieved it. When i got it i went to swap all my parts from my Falcon over to this as the frames the corect size and was hoping it would be a straight swap!

But

Here is the front wheel, there is very little clearance as you can see, it seems a 700c would suit it up front:

frontwheelbrake.jpg

Here is the rear wheel, there is more claerance here and it would suit a 27" with this brake. Or would a 700c wheel fit here?

rearbrakeclearance.jpg

Here is the front fork, i'm not sure if its possibly bent being the cause for the front wheel having such little clearance??? any thoughts?

frontfork.jpg

Any ideas

That was designed to run on tubs, I suspect.
You could put shorter reach brakes on, but it would be wrong. I'd suggest you either get another frame, or some new wheels.

tubs are tubeless tyres. In ye days of old wheels were either 27 in clinchers or 700C tubs.

There does seem to be a mismatch tho between forks and frame. Perhaps they arent the original forks, even tho' the profile of the fork blades suggest old make 531. I'd see if you can pick up some 27in clearance forks on the cheap and rattlecan them black. Seems a pity to discard a good frame.

I would say the forks in the pic arent bent, as the wheel sits central to the crown.

Not 'tubeless' but 'tubular'. They still have an inner tube and the carcase is stitched together at the base.

Look at this link for a typical view of a tubular tyre. They can be bought much cheaper - and more expensive - than these! They are stuck to the rim which is shallow concave section with special 'cement' or special double sided tape.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/continen ... 37192.html

When I got it it was running Weinman 500 side pulls IIRC, which are a shorter drop than those centre pulls.

I suppose they forks could be a replacement for an original set, but they must have been painted with the frame if they were.

NickD":awz9w8ta said:
When I got it it was running Weinman 500 side pulls IIRC, which are a shorter drop than those centre pulls.

I suppose they forks could be a replacement for an original set, but they must have been painted with the frame if they were.

The forks are a good colour match so i don't they are a replacement, no worries i'll just sell them on i think or get some more forks.

ta

:D

Back