Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:39 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:12 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 2093
Location: Sheffield, top city
I'd say count your blessings pigeon. I wouldnt buy into Campag 8 speed as it's obsolete and hard to get hold of bits. Stick with the shimano hubs, where spares and interchangability in future years is easy.
and the shimano rear hub is far superior to the campag ones. The last good hubs (in my opinion of course) that campag made were for screwed freewheels. The shimano cassette ratchet is superior and the way campag have squeezed the hub flanges together make for a less strong wheel laterally. And I'm predominantly a campag man, so saying this doesnt come easy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:21 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:55 pm
Posts: 8202
Location: New Forest, UK
If you get the wheels, fit a Marchisio Cassette, but the wheels would have to be a stunning deal to make it worth it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:22 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 380
Well the seller hasn't contacted me again so I guess the guy bought the wheels. I was just thinking, if a Campagnolo 8-speed shifter will index a Shimano 7-speed cassette, it shouldn't matter whether you have a C-8 or S-7 rear mech should it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:29 am 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:21 pm
Posts: 5784
Location: Lost in Translation
PIGEON wrote:
I was just thinking, if a Campagnolo 8-speed shifter will index a Shimano 7-speed cassette, it shouldn't matter whether you have a C-8 or S-7 rear mech should it?

Yeah, it matters.

The geometry of the parallelogram determines how far the cage moves for a given cable pull. A Campag 8-speed shifter will only index a Shimano 7-speed cassette with a Campag derailleur of the right vintage (Campag have changed their derailleur geometry). With a Shimano mech it won't index correctly - it'll overshift.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:54 pm 
Dirt Disciple
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:08 pm
Posts: 31
Location: Wirral
one-eyed_jim wrote:
PIGEON wrote:
I was just thinking, if a Campagnolo 8-speed shifter will index a Shimano 7-speed cassette, it shouldn't matter whether you have a C-8 or S-7 rear mech should it?

Yeah, it matters.

The geometry of the parallelogram determines how far the cage moves for a given cable pull. A Campag 8-speed shifter will only index a Shimano 7-speed cassette with a Campag derailleur of the right vintage (Campag have changed their derailleur geometry). With a Shimano mech it won't index correctly - it'll overshift.


so........I am swopping my 6 speed uniglide and hub for a hyperglide with a 8 speed cassette, all Shimano, will these work with my Shimano long cage 600 rear mech and friction shifters, with a new chain of course.

Pete.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:21 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:21 pm
Posts: 5784
Location: Lost in Translation
mojopete wrote:
so........I am swopping my 6 speed uniglide and hub for a hyperglide with a 8 speed cassette, all Shimano, will these work with my Shimano long cage 600 rear mech and friction shifters, with a new chain of course.

If you're friction shifting, the only concern is whether the mech has enough throw to reach the big sprocket before hitting its stop, and my bet is that it does. If it doesn't, you may be able to file down the stop slightly to increase the throw, but I doubt you'll need to.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:28 pm 
Dirt Disciple
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:08 pm
Posts: 31
Location: Wirral
Thanks Jim, I'm not much of an expert in these matters but I have just had a look at the rear mech and it has 2 threaded stops with plenty of ajustment left as they are set up at the moment, for the old 6 speed I presume.

Pete.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Old Ned and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group