Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:23 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: n00b help required !
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:19 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hello all,

hoping I can get some advice on building a retrobike.

Just bought a Colnago frame on ebay(I have always dreamt of riding a Colnago since watching the TDF in the 80s as a kid). It's described as being a 'Super' from the early 80s. Size-wise it looks as if it is going to measure-up pretty much perfectly for me - my daily ride is a Cannondale Caad5 and the dimensions look similar.

What sort of kit should I be looking to pair with this frame ? Should I go totally retro and seek out a vintage groupset ? Will a more modern set even fit ? Please excuse my ignorance, I am enthusiastic but dumb at the moment. Am hoping with help I can build a rideable beauty. I am pretty sure I will be enlisting the help of my LBS in the job, they seem pretty cool and helpful in there...

All and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ps - The other stuff I know so far are that the rear spacing is 125mm and the bottom bracket is 36x24T Italian.

Thanks ! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:04 pm 
Old School Hero

Hello,
Those supers are very very nice.
Neary bought one myself but was outbid.
To answer your questions then although you could go modern, retro is the only way.
Get some Campag Super record

Classic bikes for inspiration
http://www.raydobbins.com/
http://www.speedbicycles.ch/collection_name.html

Have a look round, it may be worth your while buying a complete donor bike off the bay.

For the bits.
J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:04 pm 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

As you have a daily ride. You will be using this frame as 'weekender' ride? If so then you could go for a complete period build. Most modern kit will fit your frame (as far as i know)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:20 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Good idea re donor bike. The Campag Record route sounds like a good one. Could be expensive though !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:36 am 
Retro Guru

I wouldnt be against riding modern kit on an older steel frame. After all, clipless pedals and ergo levers are a dfinite boon.
The only thing I would suggest is keeping it Italian. A Colnago with shimano would be a no-go for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:49 pm 
Old School Grand Master

pigman wrote:
A Colnago with shimano

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:28 pm 
Retro Guru

Nothing wrong with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:43 pm 
Retro Guru

I'm not particularly enthusiastic about Shimano on Italian bikes, but if the bike is a rider its more important to spec bits that are functional and do what you want - say you hate Ergolevers but like the clicky perfection of Shimano - then go for whatever floats your boat.

Parts-wise I think you have to be careful to strike a balance between functional kit and gear that is in keeping with your bike. If you are planning on putting a fair few miles on a bike there's nothing worse than worrying about scuffing those NOS cranks you fought so hard for on the 'Bay. And downtube shifters might be more "right", but...no.

My last two bikes have been sympathetic rather than in keeping with the year the frame was made. I've got a Dura Ace 7700 groupset on one bike, but there's no way I would have bought anything newer or older. I've got another bike with a *modern* 10-speed Campag group but I'd rather stare directly into the sun than fit either of them with outboard bottom brackets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:59 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

As everybody is saying, it really is about striking a balance. Speaking from experience, having rare/expensive/impossible to replace NOS parts on your bike (any bike) can go two ways, you'll be cycling pleased as punch knowing you have it exactly as you want or imagined, or you will cycle less and less because of the fear of damaging/scratching/chippng anything.

If you really want to use it and are a bit of a fearful fairy like me, finding used but period bits may be the option, less sentimental and less of a ball breaker should you prang something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:02 am 
Dirt Disciple

Thanks for the advice everyone. The frame finally arrived this morning and it is as described. Few paint chips here and there but nothing to bother me really - I want to ride it not look at it.

I have managed to find both a modern Record crank and BB so far, and will add bits as I can afford to. I will stay with Record if I can. I have been advised that, in terms of the front mech, it will either be a 28.6mm or a braze-on. No idea what the latter is - the mechs are the next part I aim to sort out.

Anyway, will update when I have some more news.

Cheers