TDF Jersey Colours ?

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
I think I get the yellow jersey and the polka dot one for king of the mountains (you'll be seeing dots before your eyes after some of those climbs) but there are others and why I'm not clear. There seems to be a degree of assumed knowledge in TDF, almost a snobbery, if you have to ask your not a true fan :roll:

Looking to be informed and amazed :D

Velo

the green one is for Sprints - I learned that yesterday - great performance from that bloke (you can tell I know a lot about the riders)

the white one is for young rider
rainbow is world champion
ex world champs may wear a rainbow on there sleeve
various different ones for national champions too

can't remember if most combative rider has a jersey? don't think so.

velomaniac":1ojx06sb said:
There seems to be a degree of assumed knowledge in TDF, almost a snobbery, if you have to ask your not a true fan :roll:

Not really, cycling is no worse than any other sport. Surely there is a degree of assumed knowledge in any commentry or coverage - otherwise you'd have to start from scratch every day. If you watch the ITV4 coverage they generally go over most of the nuances in the course of the race anyhow...

Wikipedia has the answers regarding the jerseys > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_de_Fr ... on_jerseys

Using the 'good old Wiki'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_de_Fr ... on_jerseys

Click on pics to open/enlarge

The national champions jerseys are based on the colours of the nations flags, as ably shown here by Helen Wyman; National Cyclo-Cross Champion

(all UK National Champions jerseys are same pattern, whatever the discipline)

Junior may be different, as shown here by Roger Hammonds 1992 'rainbow' for the Junior Cyclo-Cross World Champion (or has it changed in recent years?)

Armstrong in his World Champions jersey

Frischnect in his World Amateur Cross jersey (Nations Cup, Leeds 1992)

Digressing Slightly
I thought he'd given up, but I did see 'Das Teufel' the other day one one of the Tour stages :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didi_Senft

On a related note, I was wondering the other day how this actually works because the classification jerseys come with the sponsors also found on the jersey normally worn by the rider don't they? Do teams have to supply yellow, green, polkadot etc. jerseys just in case one of their riders get awarded one? Or does the organisation have these jersey's, a different one for every team?
And do they also supply matching pants and helmets? Thor Hushovd for example has a matching helmet but I don't think I've ever seen a polkadot helmet.

They used to award the jerseys straight after the stage and theres a guy behind the podium ironing on the sponsors stuff for the podium. After that they'll line up with there sponsors gear. This was a while back though.

Quick google shows this is still the same, podium shots are all with the official tour sponsors jersey.

Highest placed team have florescent yellow numbers,which at the moment is Astana.

Latest posts

Back