Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:50 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:03 pm 
Old School Hero

PIGEON wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen a polkadot helmet.

It used to be quite common, I think the last guy to have a polkadot helmet was Richard Virenque? But he got some cream and it cleared up nicely.

Nah, but seriously, he did.

The old 'iron on the sponsors logo' trick is why the jerseys on the podium presentation zip up at the back - they can't iron the transfer on over the zip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:57 am 
Retro Guru

Student Bob wrote:
the last guy to have a polkadot helmet was Richard Virenque?

he always rode with some good gear ... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:28 pm 
Retro Guru

Michael Rasmussen did the full polka dot,also rode with some good gear,alegedly :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:57 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Just one other detail, former winners wear yellow ends to their sleeves even for normal jerseys.

Former world champions have the stripes on the sleeve ends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:51 pm 
Retro Guru

hamster wrote:
Just one other detail, former winners wear yellow ends to their sleeves even for normal jerseys.

Former world champions have the stripes on the sleeve ends.

Erm,no they don't! Former world champs have the sleeve stripes but TDF winners don't,Armstrong and Contador's are Livestrong bands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:42 am 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

A friend of mine once wore an old genuine World Champion's jersey as a spectator to a cyclo-cross race in Belgium. It was under his jacket etc. but he got a right b*ll*cking from a local official for wearing it as he wasn't an ex-WC himself. In the 70's WC style jerseys were on sale in shops for a short while but they were taken off the market following complaints from the UCI. Even the 'rainbow' coloured trim to jersey sleeves and neck is only supposed to be worn be ex-WC's.

There was for a short while in the Lemond/Hinault era of the TdF a 'Combination' jersey worn by the rider who was overall highest in all the competitions. It was a diabolical mixture of all the colours (rather like a 'La Vie Claire' jersey gone wrong) and only lasted for a couple of years. I think Lemond wore it for a while. I might have a piccy somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:27 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Lots of debate continues out my way about wearing WC colours, and similar when on the bike. I tend to agree that you really shouldn't turn up to your club race in stripes you haven't earned. You will get some abuse for it too, especially from the announcer.

On the other hand, I see no harm in buying a WC jersey, and wearing it to a race as a spectator. Every sport I can think of condones this. Most encourage it as a revenue raiser. Why not wear your hero's colours if you are there cheering for him?

Back on topic... I believe that Cippollini was the first to wear a full outfit, including helmet and gloves in his Green jersey colour scheme. This was around 10 years ago. He was famous for such flambouyant outfits as the Zebraskin one, etc. Cipollini was fined by the race organisers for failing to wear the official team sanctioned uniform, but he didn't care, and earned more in publicity than the piffling fine of maybe 200 Euros. He started the trend which continues today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:55 pm 
Retro Guru

I see nothing wrong in wearing a WC jersey in a casual way. What's wrong with those people, do they think one also can't wear a football jersey from any club when they're not real players? Heck, I wouldn't see any harm in someone reproducing a uefa cup trophy and putting it in their living room. He's not telling trying to make anybody believe he actually earned it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:57 pm 
Old School Hero

Old Ned wrote:
A friend of mine once wore an old genuine World Champion's jersey as a spectator to a cyclo-cross race in Belgium. It was under his jacket etc. but he got a right b*ll*cking from a local official for wearing it as he wasn't an ex-WC himself.

I agree with that Nedly

Geoffrey Butlers still sell a 'replica' (Lampre) rainbow jersey, & surely something like that should be sacrosanct!

http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/eshop.asp?wci ... +SS+JERSEY

Yes, I do realise that most of us can distinguish between the real claimant on the jersey & the 'lookalike'

If you haven't earned the right to wear a Champions jersey you shouldn't wear one.
There was a 'kerfuffle' a while ago as Jody Crewford was wearing his National Cyclo-Cross Champions jersey whilst training on the road