Greetings

Toff

Devout Dirtbag
Feedback
View
Hello fellow retro fans.

I discovered your forum by chance today, but I must say, I like. I like!

I'm a fan of all bikes, but I do really like the retro ones. For me, the pinnacle of retro is the Campagnolo C-Record era. I also have a bit of a soft spot for Italian frames, as well as bikes.

My personal collection in date order:
* 1953 Dawes Clansman Ladies stepthrough, running racing components.
* 1960s Hercules Balmoral roadster, running Hercules components.
* 1970s Raleigh Twenty folding bike, modernised a la Sheldon Brown.
* 1983 Colnago Saronni track frame, currently being restored to run a Suntour Superbe Pro groupset.
* 1985 Geoff Scott track frame, with Campagnolo parts, and Dura Ace drivetrain.
* 1988 Dave Tesch track frame, running Superbe Pro groupset.
* 1990 Eddy Merxck 10th Anniversary TSX, with 1990 C-Record.
* 1991 Zullo, with mishmash of Campagnolo 8-speed parts (mostly Chorus).
* 1992 Colnago Super, with 1992 C-Record and 1993 Shamals.
* 1995 Peter Bundy track frame, with Sugino parts.
* 1996 Colnago Tecnos, with 1996 Chorus. Running a 1996 Racing triple drivetrain.
* 1997 Colnago Tecnos AD10 Mapei frameset (x2)
* 2004 Koln Ziel running Campagnolo Record 10.
* A couple of others that don't deserve a mention.
* A whole stack of parts, waiting for the next build, including a 1994 C-Record groupset, and a 1995 Veloce groupset for the next rain bike...

All are steel except the 2004 model. That was a mistake, and I'm currently talking about selling it to make way for my next one...

In time, I hope to put up some pics, but for now, the only picture I could find is of my 1992 Colnago Super.
colnagosuper00xj4.jpg

Since the pic was taken, I've replaced the straight Precisa fork with the correct curved on, and I've put the correct (oh so expensive!!!) 1992 C-Record headset on, as well as shortening those sloppy cables. I'm going to keep the 1993 Shamals on this bike though.

I love 1992-1994 C-Record, as it was a time of transition in cycling. Lots of new breakthroughs, but still with the awesome styling of the era. For example, this bike has...
- 1st generation Ergopower shifters, identifyable by the strange lump at the base of the brake lever.
- 1st generation Shamal wheels. Not exactly rare, until I say that these are clinchers. I've only ever seen 3 sets of 1993 Shamal clinchers, and I'm proud to say I now own one of those sets.
- 1st generation cartridge bottom bracket.
- Campagnolo C-Record Look pedals, which replaced the SGR ones in 1989. Made by Look under Licence to Campagnolo. Look made the full range of pedals for Campy at the time, but in a classic case of one-upmanship, Campy pulled out the axles on the Record pedals and replaced them with Campy ones. You can tell if your Campagnolo Look pedals are genuine Record, because the axles will be stamped "Brev Camp" instead of "Look Patent".

Anyway, look forward to getting to know a few of you on this forum. I'm half a world away, but have lots of family in the UK, which may come in useful in future. We shall see.

Cheers,

Chris

Welcome abard

Welcome aboard mate.
I live at the very top of the UK, have been here nearly 8 years but from Sydney myself.
Good to have more Aussies onboard :cool:
Stick your pics and details of bikes in readers rides section.

Jamie

Welcome to the forum :cool:

How did you find us?

quite a collection, look forward to seeing more pics.

Have to agree on C-Record. Ergos plus deltas plus that styling is always a winner....

Thanks for the welcome. Found you guys when I googled looking for pics of early Zullo frames. My Zullo has the same paint scheme as the new Tour'91, but I paid nowhere near the $3,500 that one apparently costs. AND mine is a genuine 1991 frame. More on that when I post a picture of it. :D

Back