Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:55 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:22 am 
Pumpy's Bear
Pumpy's Bear
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:03 pm
Posts: 8145
Location: Hereford
cchris2lou wrote:
the hills in the alps are long and dont give much time to recover .


Managed the Pyrennes a couple of years ago on 48/34 (homemade compact of a White Industries chainset minus granny ring) and 12-27 (via an 80s Dura Ace rear mech) without combusting and rode the Gran Fondo Campagnolo in the Dolomites on the same setup on what is now John's Corsa Extra.

So I figure, and being serious for a moment, that a 48/34 proper compact and a 28t or 30t at the back would be a possibility.

Gravitating towards the Merckx or even possibly the Raleigh with it's non aero brake levers (might need new brake pads on the single pivots though).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:30 am 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:34 pm
Posts: 26173
Location: Moomin Valley
Now this where the limited experience of us council estate rats comes into play - the farthest distance cycled any given day being just further than the top shops....

Its flat around here, flat I tells ya. no practice for inclines


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:47 am 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:45 pm
Posts: 10944
Location: kent
ededwards wrote:
cchris2lou wrote:
the hills in the alps are long and dont give much time to recover .


Managed the Pyrennes a couple of years ago on 48/34 (homemade compact of a White Industries chainset minus granny ring) and 12-27 (via an 80s Dura Ace rear mech) without combusting and rode the Gran Fondo Campagnolo in the Dolomites on the same setup on what is now John's Corsa Extra.

So I figure, and being serious for a moment, that a 48/34 proper compact and a 28t or 30t at the back would be a possibility.

Gravitating towards the Merckx or even possibly the Raleigh with it's non aero brake levers (might need new brake pads on the single pivots though).


i dont doubt your abilities . :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:37 pm 
Section Moderator & South West AEC
Section Moderator & South West AEC
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:33 pm
Posts: 8163
Location: new forest
in 2003 i rode alp d'huez on my fausto coppi galaxy, i decided not to buy a wider cassette for climbing as i'd only be doing it once and i hadn't struggled to much when training the previous week from morzine to avoriaz etc so i hit the start of the alp and went up the initial part of the climb(about 500yds) in big ring, 53-19 then i hit the first hairpin . . . . from there on i ground my way up in 1st gear till the top. painful.

moral of story . . . . don't attempt al d'huez with 39/53 11-23 gearing unless you are a powerhouse climber! i recently got my condor and bought it deliberately with climbing gears, i have put my normal set up on it but have kept the compact etc for the alps, i won't be making that mistake again!! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:16 pm 
Pumpy's Bear
Pumpy's Bear
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:03 pm
Posts: 8145
Location: Hereford
jonnyboy666 wrote:
in 2003 i rode alp d'huez on my fausto coppi galaxy, i decided not to buy a wider cassette for climbing as i'd only be doing it once and i hadn't struggled to much when training the previous week from morzine to avoriaz etc so i hit the start of the alp and went up the initial part of the climb(about 500yds) in big ring, 53-19 then i hit the first hairpin . . . . from there on i ground my way up in 1st gear till the top. painful.

moral of story . . . . don't attempt al d'huez with 39/53 11-23 gearing unless you are a powerhouse climber! i recently got my condor and bought it deliberately with climbing gears, i have put my normal set up on it but have kept the compact etc for the alps, i won't be making that mistake again!! :lol:


Wise words - to be honest I can see no merit in not fitting a compact and a saucer sized largest sprocket for continental climbs, better to have another gear in reserve than be practicing trackstands in 42x21


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:48 pm 
Pumpy's Bear
Pumpy's Bear
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:03 pm
Posts: 8145
Location: Hereford
Ok, so I have modified the Merckx for lengthy climbs, as pictured (although saddle will drop half an inch).

Interestingly the rear mech is supposed to take a 26t rear sprocket as the largest. I slung some wheels in with a 32t and as you can see the rear mech seems to take it in it's stride without looking overly stretched or stressed. Haven't tried it under load yet but looking good (and I have a medium cage mech in reserve just in case).

Only thing left is to fit a shorter axled b/b as the front mech can't really cope with the new chainset fitted - removing a 20 year old fixed cup is a job I'll have to leave to the LBS!


Attachments:
Climbing Merckx rear mech.JPG
Climbing Merckx rear mech.JPG [ 148.77 KiB | Viewed 538 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:37 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:10 pm
Posts: 1743
Location: Peoples Republic of Scunny
I did some riding in the Alps a few years ago and just as a bailout put a 39x27 bottom gear on,1st ride out didn't need it and thought why did I bother,then the next day used it a bit and so on until by the end of the week it was the most used gear!
I was in the Alps to watch the tour and the variety of bikes I saw was immense from old skool stuff to my DeRosa :oops:
If I was going again I would deffo fit a compact chainset,not cos the climbs are steep but because after doing a few days of hour long climbs followed by 10 mins descent followed by hour long climb its nice to spin a bit!
I went there with a local pro and it took me over a month to recover :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:43 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:42 pm
Posts: 783
Location: Brighton
Remember the coming down bit. Ancient brake on steel rims will test your descending skills - and the roads won't be closed so you need to stay on the right.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:47 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:10 pm
Posts: 1743
Location: Peoples Republic of Scunny
terryhfs wrote:
Remember the coming down bit. Ancient brake on steel rims will test your descending skills - and the roads won't be closed so you need to stay on the right.


The decents were amazing,hit 60 mph comoing back from Meribel 8) I was on a fairly modern bike with duel pivots but I think Eds a pretty strong guy though :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:28 pm 
Pumpy's Bear
Pumpy's Bear
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:03 pm
Posts: 8145
Location: Hereford
Good stuff chaps, totally agree about braking as I'm far from a fearless descender but the combination of dual pivots and ceramic rims will, hopefully, see me right.

Below is the full on beast.


Attachments:
Climbing Merckx full.JPG
Climbing Merckx full.JPG [ 148.7 KiB | Viewed 518 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group