Bike for the Alps

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Leaving aside gearing, what bike would you take to the Alps for the classic TdF climbs - a retro classic? Or a modern bike?

depends how I was going?
touring, either alone or dayrides with a no-club type cyclist, my steel rockhopper with road tyres/gears, rack and panniers
going with clubmates with a car backup back at base - a modern clubrun racer with ergos, some carbon bits , slightly wider gears and 25mm tyres.

Definitely wouldnt struggle with old tackle where fitness & performance was an issue.

The Norman Fay has got to be ridden to be believed, it seems to prefer me honking up the hills big ring smallest cog.

Newer groupset though!

i have ridden various bikes in the alps, steel cougar, aluminium fausto coppi, aluminium and also carbon giant tcr's. being honest i liked my coppi going up because of the typical italian geometry but downhill at speed i prefered the carbon tcr but mainly because of the stiffness of the forks and the fact it had a 1 1/8 headset. the coppi has a 1" headset and descending at speed and braking hard into hairpins was quite scary when you can see your fork flexing backwards. :shock:

if i had to choose right now for a trip tomorrow i would take the modern condor i have, mix of aluminium and carbon with 1 1\8 headset. light but not stupid light, comfortable to sit on for long climbs.

Modern all the way. Light enough to go up and safe enough to come down.

Tsk, you boys are being far too sensible and practical!

Leaving aside descending for a minute, sensible gearing, fitness and determination get you up the climbs. What about the sense of achievement as you climb with all the carbon fibre wonder bikes but on an old skool ride? It really is amazing when you overtake people who's bars cost more than your whole bike.

Living the dream and doing it with style

Ed

fair comment ed, but then you do have more style than most!! :D

if i wanted to ponce off a retro road bike up the mountain it would have to be my cougar and with it's steel forks not the carbon ones, the carbon ride nice but they don't look quite right shape wise.

then again my d2 does look really nice and very retro, decisions like this plague my life!! :LOL:

Attachments

• cougar rebuild 001resized.jpg
    cougar rebuild 001resized.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,100
  • dynamo d2 resized.jpg
    dynamo d2 resized.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,100
A ducati would take the sting out of the climbs...

(but really, my old raleigh, Id ride it anywhere)

Back