1983 Raleigh Clubman Recommission

fingers

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Family heirloom this - Dad bought it new in 1983, used it a bit, then it was mothballed with only occasional use.

Few years back we put a set of conti tyres and new tubes on it so it could be used, but really needed a rebuild.

Fast forward to 2009... Ive taken the bike over, and decided its too good to sit in the shed!

Really, it was in excellent condition. I stripped it down, autosol'd all the alloy, steel and chrome, and replaced a few bits.

The seatpost was swapped for a longer one (came with a fluted stump)
Brooks B17 saddle was added...
New ITM bar tape
New cables throughout
New brake blocks

Still awaiting some proper link wires for the brakes, and got some new cable hangers to add

Spec is as it left the factory

Reynolds 531 lugged frame
Campag (943???) mechs, shifters
Maillard hubs, freewheel on weinmann 27x1 1/4 rims
Custom super cranks
Custom stem, poss bar too
Weinmann brake levers and centre pull brakes

So here it is...

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

Always wanted to be a roadie... Even tho its proper old school I find myself spinning along in a massive gear... Rides sweet as a nut. Centrepulls not too bad either!!

Excuse the tyres, got a set of michelin NOS world tour amberwall to go on but not got round to it yet.

Also got the original esge mudguards but need to source new stays.

Aye - its a bit frame, but I am 6'5", Dad was 6'3"...

Very comfy, Im dead impressed with it...

Lovely looking bike, Raleighs had beautiful paintwork and lettering around this time. My mate had one of these, and I a Record ace from the same year. - Brings back great memories. :)

Oh yeah, keeping this always - loaded with memories.

I used to ride round on the back of it in my kiddy seat... That was about 25 years ago tho...

fingers":1hvrpcy1 said:
Oh yeah, keeping this always - loaded with memories.

I used to ride round on the back of it in my kiddy seat... That was about 25 years ago tho...

That is really cool, -to now be using it yourself. Top stuff. :D

I have an identical bike except there's a Carlton decal on the down tube. Same top tube decals and lug lining etc. Came from Raleigh special products in late 82.

Back