ribble 531

bolly

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
just built up a frame i was given, its a Ribble and made using Reynolds 531 competition tubing. The frame itself is very sound and i was wondering if anyone could give me some info on it ie what age it may be and how good a frame is it? It weights just under 23 pounds now built up. I am hoping it is a good frame as i would like to invest a bit of time and money into it and see what i can make of it.

531c is always worth bothering with, if it fits you then look after it they don't make 'em like that anymore. I don't know much specific to Ribble, but there's plenty here that do; how about some pictures?

Pics would be good. 531c is good stuff, not much heavier than 753. Certainly worth spending some cash on.

pics of ribble

Pics now attached (hope it works). It has shimano 600 brakes, headset and cranks. Shimano light action 105 shifters. Cinelli bars and stem. Campagnolo hubs and mavic rims. The seat tube measures 60 cm ctt or 58cm ctc. The top tube is 57 cm. I am 6'1 so think the size is about right. The gears have seen better days and will need replacing unsure what to replace with though, also it feels a little long but hopefully an inline seatpost will sort this out. not all pics uploading but hope this will do

Attachments

• Ribble road 531c 001r.jpg
    Ribble road 531c 001r.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 4,804
  • Ribble road 531c 002r.jpg
    Ribble road 531c 002r.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 4,802
  • Ribble road 531c 003r.jpg
    Ribble road 531c 003r.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 4,800
  • Ribble road 531c 004r.jpg
    Ribble road 531c 004r.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 4,803
Heres mine :)

P1010250.jpg

I cant tell you much about it though, it is my London commuter that I picked up off ebay for not a lot of money (cheap buy it now sale). I actually really like it! Ive not had a road bike before but it is superb for the job I set it.

looks identical ! This is my first road bike after riding mts' for years and am sure it will make a good bike. Mines six speed at moment but unsure what i can go to when i replace the gearing will have to measure the back axel and ask some more questions.

They were all made down the road from Preston, in Kirkham, which is about 5 miles from the shop.

Overall, they are great steel bikes that will last a long time to come. Only ever seen one with a bit of a defect on the seat tube weld, but they knew that at the time and sold it half price in the shop.

Sadly, that side of the business ended with the introduction of Aluminium frames from Italy and the far east. It's only recently that steel has seen a comeback, probably due to the SS craze.

I know the guy that used to spray them all!

Still searching for a 56cm SL version...

Both lovely bikes. Bolly, that 600 crank looks great, I guess mid 80's by the parts, 105 stuff a later upgrade; anyone more accurate? You're in luck with steel frames, they can be re-set if necessary to accomodate a different hub (but 6 speed stuff still available!).

Thanks it rides really well but need to sort out the gears then i can take it out for a long day to see just how comfy it it. Cant believe the weight for such an old bike though. Think i would have to spend a lot of money to get a bike this weight and should be even lighter when finished.

Attachments

• Ribble road 531c 007r.jpg
    Ribble road 531c 007r.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 4,775
  • Ribble road 531c 008r.jpg
    Ribble road 531c 008r.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 4,775
  • Ribble road 531c 010r.jpg
    Ribble road 531c 010r.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 4,775
  • Ribble road 531c 012r.jpg
    Ribble road 531c 012r.jpg