Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:56 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:54 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

Two nice touches to this tip find frame that I've not seen before so would like your help:

serial number 1460 - no other numbers present

seatpost 26.8mm

pump mounts, underbar cable routing

I smell another Ti Raleigh industries frame....?

Attachments:
Raleigh seatclamp.jpg
Raleigh seatclamp.jpg [ 159.03 KiB | Viewed 3160 times ]
Raleigh BB.jpg
Raleigh BB.jpg [ 133.42 KiB | Viewed 3160 times ]

Last edited by legrandefromage on Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:14 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

some contenders:

It had white pearlescent paint underneath.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:27 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

All ilkeston built frames will have serail nos. starting SB. Worksop built frames will have serials starting W.

Looks like a nice find though. Any stickers at all to help with ID?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:36 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

John wrote:
All ilkeston built frames will have serail nos. starting SB. Worksop built frames will have serials starting W.

Looks like a nice find though. Any stickers at all to help with ID?

not a sausage - just the pissy little number of '1460' that doesnt equate to anything mentioned on the net.

Found some marks on the lugs -

Attachments:
Raleigh seatclamp.jpg
Raleigh seatclamp.jpg [ 159.03 KiB | Viewed 3137 times ]
Raleigh BB.jpg
Raleigh BB.jpg [ 133.42 KiB | Viewed 3137 times ]

Last edited by legrandefromage on Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:37 pm 
Retro Guru

its very similar to one I had late 80's. Mine was built in 531 comp, same BB shell and cast seat lug, fork crown and fork shape as yours. It was a mass produced one, not an Ilkeston one. Mine was a light blue fade around the head tube, fork crown and rear end and ruby read round the seat cluster and BB on a metallic white background. for such an ordinary frame, in many ways rode better than my colnago master. A mate who had a colnago super was peeved that he'd spent a bomb and my raleigh weighed a lot less. They also did one in 653 which was red and green on a white background.
given that it has a 27.2 seatpin its 531C or 653 and not 501 which i also had as a winter bike and used a smaller seatpin. At that time, you can tell if its mass produced or ilkeston, cos the mass produced ones had slightly larger than average welding blow-holes. The forks used to whistle different notes depending on speed of descent. Sound comical, but got quite annoying and eventually I put different forks on.
It will build as a good quality, lightweight racing bike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:46 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

pigman wrote:
its very similar to one I had late 80's. Mine was built in 531 comp, same BB shell and cast seat lug, fork crown and fork shape as yours. It was a mass produced one, not an Ilkeston one. Mine was a light blue fade around the head tube, fork crown and rear end and ruby read round the seat cluster and BB on a metallic white background. for such an ordinary frame, in many ways rode better than my colnago master. A mate who had a colnago super was peeved that he'd spent a bomb and my raleigh weighed a lot less. They also did one in 653 which was red and green on a white background.
given that it has a 27.2 seatpin its 531C or 653 and not 501 which i also had as a winter bike and used a smaller seatpin. At that time, you can tell if its mass produced or ilkeston, cos the mass produced ones had slightly larger than average welding blow-holes. The forks used to whistle different notes depending on speed of descent. Sound comical, but got quite annoying and eventually I put different forks on.
It will build as a good quality, lightweight racing bike.

Thought you'd be on this one.

26.8mm seatpost - very light. I have a similar era Raleigh 501 frame to comapare it to - so different

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:13 pm 
Retro Guru

legrandefromage wrote:
26.8mm seatpost - very light. I have a similar era Raleigh 501 frame to comapare it to - so different

sorry, missed the seatpost size. I got carried away rambling on about 27.2. Maybe 653 was 26.8, i dunno? Will a 27.2 fit? I once bought a MTB from a shop with the wrong seatpin in. i didnt know till I met someone else with a similar frame who pointed out the error. when I tried his (larger diameter), this fitted better and didnt need so much tightening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:11 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

everyone ok with '531c'? I'm going to order the stickers today.

Its staying black (finding some quality black paint/ laquer was a big hint) with a touch of gold here & there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:39 pm 
Old School Grand Master

According to Tony Oliver's book, 653 and 531c had the same internal diameter.
For a perfect build it's 27.2, but maybe a bit of heat distortion meant some ovalising and a 26.8 was a better fit.
Apparently a perfect silver brazed frame (less heat so less distortion) will build up with a 27.4 seat tube.

My Dawes tandem is similar - 26.8 at the front and 27.0 at the back, even they both ought to be 27.2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:40 pm 
Retro Guru

26.8 wouldn't be a normal seatpost size for 531c. It would be right for 531ATB but your frame is unlikely to be built from that 8-) More likely 501 I think.

Could it be another Scirocco, or a Pro Race? The Pro Race was I think white with garish bits but there's a black painted one here;

http://s3.amazonaws.com/ibike/pictures/ ... _large.JPG