• Total voters

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
photo5.jpg

Interested into people's views on it. Couple of old boys I ride with who were reasonable racers back in the 70s were very dismissive of it - show ponys only they reckon.

Looks ok I reckon, in moderation of course :cool:

As I've said before - I got into building and enjoying road bikes big time, these pantographed bits can really set off a 'showy' frame, Italian flair and so on.

Would love a Merckx stem/ Campagnolo chainring but they are pricey.

DSC_3234.JPG

247a_1.jpg

2676693103_3de2ed4343.jpg

pantygraphing

wow, the bike in your pic john. looks crazy nice. pantographing is sweet. i think it shows the companies were thinking about the people riding there bikes. offering something to all corners of the market, making money and people happy. sure it is shameless and self promoting even tacky, but personally i would like one....

I must confess to having to look up the word "pantographing" :oops: I was hoping for something a bit naughtier, but since it's not; Yes - all things in moderation and all that. :)

Pantograph
A pantograph is a 4-bar/4-pivot mechanical linkage that is used to copy designs, sometimes in different sizes. 2 of the corners are fixed, the tracing point is on one of the movable corners and the engraver is on the other. If the 4 arms are all the same length, the copy is the same size as the stencil, but by varying the arm length you can make a pantograph enlarge or reduce graphics.

A pantograph with an engraving tool is commonly used to engrave names in bicycle parts. High-end bikes, particularly Italian ones, sometimes have the frame builder's name "pantographed" on the handlebar stem, cranks/chainrings, lugs, etc.

i cant be the only one without a clue what you lot were on about!

John":s3x8v3e9 said:
Couple of old boys I ride with who were reasonable racers back in the 70s were very dismissive of it - show ponys only they reckon.

For sure. But Show Ponys is what most classic road bikes are these days! My Gios only comes out on special occasions and I'd fit the original panto stem, seatpost and chainring at the drop of a hat, if I could find them for sale.

Wouldn't have used Panto kit on a race bike if I'd been around at the time though. And no jokes about widow Twanky please.

pantographing= very good indeed I say!
Most Italian companies who did it use nice classy lettering, which really works. I just think it conveys Italiano pride and flair, and seems appropriate. (esp. where Super Record's involved..)

Panto

I agree with it being in moderation and on the right machine.
I have a panto stem on my Merckx, but thats all. Some machines look really classy with it but others look a bit too tarty.

Jamie

Back