6 speed Uniglide casstte question

Dr S

Old School Grand Master
Hi Guys
Thought I'd post in the road bikes bit as I'm looking for a 6 speed Uniglide Cassette and have drawn a blank everywhere. Does anyone know where I can get hold of one?

Cheers
Si

and I'll bung in a reply here:

just a suggestion:

Older 7spd Exage freehubs have a threaded section which the old cup & ball BB lockrings fit perfectly.

you could make yourself a decent 6spd cassette from a 9spd (for the ratios) using spacers from a 7/ 8spd and a sexy lockring from a BB.

Not period correct, but would keep everything running for as long as you needed.

heres what I mean with a shite SS conversion made out of workshop floor sweepings:

unigluide_esque_147.jpg

I think i have one in the garage that you can have. Although I've a feeling it might be 7spd.

PM me a reminder to go check and i'll do it this evening.

Its 6 speed I need. I have a 7 currently fitted on an early Hyperglide freehub body (the one with internal and external threading for both types of lock ring) but I still have the M730 6 speed SIS shifters which i am using on friction mode as they wont work on the seven cassette. There is a difference of around 0.35mm on the spacers between the cogs on 6 and 7 speed cassettes and it means poor shifting when in SIS mode, hence the need for a 6 speed cassette.

I've been up to my ancient LBS and come away with two bins full of cassette spares, hopefully there are spacers of the correct width in there somewhere. I have a new 28-12 to canibalise for the cogs. If I cannot find spacers I will fire up the lathe and machine some from scratch. The things we do eh?

Thanks for you help guys.

Cheers
Si

I may have some 3.65mm spacers in a pot at home, I'll check tonight. You'd just need a thin washer for the lock cog then

Pete

All sorted now. Used SRAM 9 speed spacers with 1mm spacers from Jimmy's box o spares between to get the 3.5 spacing needed. Now have a 6 speed hyperglide on a NOS hyperglide freehub body with a nifty close ratio spread of 24-12T.

All for the price of a packet of chocky biscuits. The power of the LBS!

Wasn't Suntour 6 speed 3.5mm and 6 speed Uniglide was 3.65mm, not that .15mm will make much odds!

legrandefromage":30a03x7q said:
Just found a 6 spd Unigluide cassette on a 600 hub - now,

how the hell do you get it off??

Smallest cog is a lock ring- just use two chain whips dude. You can do it with one with help from another set of hands. Put chain on small cog, stand on pedal with both brakes applied and get helper to turn the chain whip t'other way.

Si

Back