master-bation/colnago content

juiceboxx

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
hello all, i have just dug the old master out. unfortunately it is not built with campy and so on......... i am wondering if there are any master fans on this site that can help me i.d. the year and such as i am thinking of restoring it to it's old glory. any help with these is greatly appreciated as i am not a roadie but love certain road bikes. this being one...for no good reason. cheers

Attachments

• Picture 014 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 014 (Medium).jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 975
  • Picture 015 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 015 (Medium).jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 975
  • Picture 016 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 016 (Medium).jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 975
  • Picture 017 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 017 (Medium).jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 975
very close to the one i had, bought new in 1988 (I think). Mine had full chromed rear dropouts, yours look partial paint/chrome and mine didnt have the white seat tube band - it was like the downtube, but with vertical colnago transfers.
It was a great posing frame, but not light from memory.
If i were to guess, I'd say late 80's, cos the power fork (straight leg) followed which took us into the 90's

Nice bike in good condition. It has the first generation STI shifters which appeared around 1990 (for pro's anyway), were these original fittings? Strange to see a Colnago with Shimano, they're generally Campag.

I think you're right about the straight 'power forks', they didn't appear until the early '90's I think.

I know where there is a small Master Piu which could be for sale, I think this has straight forks and is probably a mid '90's bike. Complete (Campag fitted) but without wheels, not been used for years and stuck in an attic.

Is Shimano really odd for Colnago?

I mean >>

Mapei - Shimano
Rabobank - Shimano

I do not know of other/older teams what they were using. Maybe someone can shed a light on this.

Elev12k":23lofphn said:

I mean >>

Mapei - Shimano
Rabobank - Shimano

I do not know of other/older teams what they were using. Maybe someone can shed a light on this.

Ah, but they were paid to use Shimano. For the purist collector and Retrobiker, Campag would probably be the groupset of choice.

Mind you, I'm a Shimano man myself and would use it on anything!

Old Ned":1055umzl said:
Elev12k":1055umzl said:

I mean >>

Mapei - Shimano
Rabobank - Shimano

Mind you, I'm a Shimano man myself and would use it on anything!

The naughty step for you young man..

colnago master

the shimano has to go for sure. i like shimano but would like to put period correct campy on the bike. plus i have a salsa to build up and was hoping to use the durace. does any one know the availability of c-record groupsets?? yet to check ebay, but i know what goes on there.......

That's a lovely looking frame and fork, really worth restoring with some decent Campag kit.

Regarding the date I think it might be 1985-86 although I'm far from an expert. Why that age range? The Master was launched in 1984 and then through iterations the Master Pui, Master Olympic and Master X-Lite.

I'm not entirely sure when the Prescia straight bladed fork was introduced but think it was 1988-89 rather than the 90s (although again I'm not entirely sure).

master

i am yet to look through other internet sources to find info. thought i'd ask here first as there are usually some pretty handy people on this site. as for a resto.....who's is doing fine handy work in that area of expertise??

Looking again the finish looks pretty tidy in the photos and if you want to ride it just suggest you get some aero levers (Dura Ace if possible although they can be tricky to find) and Simplex retrofriction downtube levers - sell the STis and you'd be well in. Clean and polish and ride.

Back