Frame identification....

lelobysfoot

Retro Guru
Just helping a pal of mine build this up but not sure which frame it is.

It was given to me as a "531 Holdsworth". Its got Italian-style internal brake routing but a British thread BB. The rear stays look unusual where they meet the seat-tube too.

Its been powder-coated so its a bit tricky to tell what it is.

The 531 sticker is just that - I've got a feeling it might be something else. Its quite light, although not in SLX territory.

Any ideas? t would be nice to know I suppose before he goes and buys some stickers.

Attachments

• Dbike1.jpg
    Dbike1.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 658
  • Dbike2.jpg
    Dbike2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 658
  • Dbike3.jpg
    Dbike3.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 658
the 531 sticker is an old sticker - pre 531ST or 531Comp, so that would suggest (if the sticker was pukka) a frame of 25-30 yrs old +. But the paintwork looks to be too new for that.

The internal brake cable guides suggest a modification post mid 80's when this became fashionable and was generally dropped early 90's when fashion and the fact that these guides (sleeves) filled with water and caused sticking rear brakes.

The seat lug metal looks quite chunky. i would expect a master builder to have used finer (thinner) lugwork.

531 frames generally use 27.2mm seatpins for butted (27.0 on some) and 26.4 for plain gauge 531. Good columbus also uses 27.2 and cheap columbus (aelle/zeta) used 26.4. Some clunkers which were actually finished quite well, but used heavier tubing (eg. Falk) also used 26.4. If youve got a 27.2 seatpin, then I'd say 99% youve got a good un.

Weight is not the be-all-and-end-all. The 80's concentrated on style and durability, hence some top bikes weighed in at 23lbs. Columbus SPX was a quality, heavy bombproof tubing used on larger, expensive frames.

All the above is not definitive - its based on my knowledge/experience. others may say different and either might be correct.

pigman":2lk6347y said:
the 531 sticker is an old sticker - pre 531ST or 531Comp, so that would suggest (if the sticker was pukka) a frame of 25-30 yrs old +. But the paintwork looks to be too new for that.

The internal brake cable guides suggest a modification post mid 80's when this became fashionable and was generally dropped early 90's when fashion and the fact that these guides (sleeves) filled with water and caused sticking rear brakes.

The seat lug metal looks quite chunky. i would expect a master builder to have used finer (thinner) lugwork.

531 frames generally use 27.2mm seatpins for butted (27.0 on some) and 26.4 for plain gauge 531. Good columbus also uses 27.2 and cheap columbus (aelle/zeta) used 26.4. Some clunkers which were actually finished quite well, but used heavier tubing (eg. Falk) also used 26.4. If youve got a 27.2 seatpin, then I'd say 99% youve got a good un.

Weight is not the be-all-and-end-all. The 80's concentrated on style and durability, hence some top bikes weighed in at 23lbs. Columbus SPX was a quality, heavy bombproof tubing used on larger, expensive frames.

All the above is not definitive - its based on my knowledge/experience. others may say different and either might be correct.

Frames been powder coated so the 531 sticker is a repro - To me it looks like something from Dawes or Claud Butler from around the late '80's. I've got stuff with exactly the same lugs, rear stay finish and so-on.

Looks like a Moore & Large era frame

Frame

I think the rear stays are the give-away. I was thining Dawes or Claude-Butler too.
If you can tell me which of your 'stable' has the same stays I think we'll get the stickers of the same brand.

The 531 sticker is just a vinyl repro put on for a laugh. It will be going.

Thanks guys.

Re: Frame

lelobysfoot":28tmhsq0 said:
I think the rear stays are the give-away. I was thining Dawes or Claude-Butler too.
If you can tell me which of your 'stable' has the same stays I think we'll get the stickers of the same brand.

The 531 sticker is just a vinyl repro put on for a laugh. It will be going.

Thanks guys.

its nagging me - I think it might actually be a Raleigh from about '89 to '93 'cos those pointy stays have been on so many bikes I've built.

Back