Look what I got yesterday!

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
A couple of weeks ago I bumped into a guy I hadn't seen for a while and we got chatting about old bikes. He told me he still had a couple of bits and pieces and would be prepared to sell them on if I was interested. Yesterday I went to his house and came away with what you see below.

I remember him racing on the Duralinox which is a 56cm and just right for size. It was originally supplied with 'Peugeot' decals but he never bothered fitting them. The wheels in the photo are only there to keep it off the floor but I do have some that are more in period, but currently on other bikes. I intend equipping this in an '80's style and changing the gears for some Suntour Cyclones I have. I would like to acquire a set of Suntour Cyclone (or Superb) brake stirrups and 'Power Shifter' gear levers. According to Velobase.com the Dia-Compe brake levers are just in period I believe.

The Favori frame was a bit of a surprise as I did not know he had it. It is possibly slightly to small - about 22.25" but I can make it fit! It's to nice not to! 'Favori' was (is?) a brand name of Ellis-Briggs in Shipley, one of Yorkshire's best known frame builders. I think it dates from the late 90's and is made of Columbus EL tubing and seems quite light. I hope to fit this out as a '90's machine with an 8 speed 105 groupset from my Giant (which is currently my TT machine). The only thing I may be short of is a period 27.2 seat pin which will have to be longish.

When these are finished they will complete my collection as I will then have an example of 70's, 80's and 90's bikes.

OH, but I won't have 40's, 50's and 60's bikes will I! More spending then!

Attachments

• FavoriFrameJune09.4.A.jpg
    FavoriFrameJune09.4.A.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 953
  • FavoriFrameJune09.2.A.jpg
    FavoriFrameJune09.2.A.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 953
  • FavoriFrameJune09.1.A.jpg
    FavoriFrameJune09.1.A.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 953
  • DuralinoxJune09.1.A.jpg
    DuralinoxJune09.1.A.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 953
I have one of those Peugeot frames in the same size - if you coma across a set of forks the same as yours.... you know who to flog 'em to.

Lovely finds

Have never heard of Duralinox. It looks like a kind of Vitus or ALAN. Of course, as they are two other bonded al bike manufacturers. From a distance, it looks very neat. How is it up close?

Maybe even nicer is the Ellis frame. Is 105 up to the heritage or cachet of the frame?

Elev12k":1vv1f1tb said:
Lovely finds

Have never heard of Duralinox. It looks like a kind of Vitus or ALAN. Of course, as they are two other bonded al bike manufacturers. From a distance, it looks very neat. How is it up close?

Maybe even nicer is the Ellis frame. Is 105 up to the heritage or cachet of the frame?

Duralinox is Vitus. Another brand name commonly used in the UK. I've known them more by this name than by Vitus. The frame seems OK, I've ridden it up the road and it was fine.

105 in the 80's wasn't to bad, perhaps not as good as Ultegra or Dura-Ace but I would have to buy that and I've already got the 105.

Just re-read my post - god I was tired yesterday. It still amazes me what is hiding in sheds and garages out there.

I like bonded frames alot and would love an Alan or a Vitus myself (my Peugeot is only a Pechiny frame).

Good find.

NickD":3prrtwh9 said:
I think I may have some power shifters in the garage.....

Thanks for the possible offer but I already have some. However, they are a banded on pair so does anyone know if they will fit onto standard gear bosses?

The other alternative is to get a Shimano 600 gear mech to match the front mech and indexed shifters rather than the later period 105 that is fitted. The brake stirrups are 600 as well so this would make a full set.

The cranks are Suntour Cyclone which are very nice but I do have an early 105 pair which would make it all Shimano.

Favori

My old uncle has a Favori hanging up in his house. He's almost given up cycling - shame it would be too small for me.

This one is nice too. You got any history on it?

Any idea how 'Extra EL' rides?

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back